7 Amazing Places in Mauritius

7 Places that Made Me Fall in Love with Mauritius

Sometimes it is not the people but, the places which make it hard to say goodbye.

138

I recently came back from Mauritius, and I can honestly say that it is undoubtedly one of the most gorgeous countries I have ever been to. When planning my trip to this tropical island, I didn't have much clue about the landscape or the culture that I would encounter here.

But, after spending a month here, I can truly say that this island is a marvel. There are so many places for different kinds of travelers that you would never really get bored of this place. Here are some places which made me fall for this island and made it extremely hard to bid it goodbye.

1. Black River Peak

Black River Peak is the highest mountain peak in Mauritius which is why we decided to hike this trail. While the trail was easy for most of the part, albeit a little tiring, the view could never be described in words. It took us 2 hours to reach the top of this trail, after a little bit of rope climbing as well and the moment we saw around us, we were left speechless. We could see the entire Black River Mountain ranges and the coastline as well.

It was truly gorgeous and that moment was when I realized that Mauritius is more than a honeymoon spot. It is the perfect place for adventure junkies too.

2. Bel Ombre Sugarcane Fields

If you are big romantic like me then you would agree that strolling or running through sugarcane fields is really exciting. So, that is what I did in Mauritius. Mauritius is famous for its sugarcane fields and is the largest producer of sugar all over the world. As a result, most of the land is covered by sugarcane fields.

So, I got to twirl and play around in my dresses and fall in love with my surroundings without being judged or laughed at.

3. Flic en Flac Beach

Honestly, I am more of a beach girl than a mountain girl which is why Flic en Flac was the perfect spot for me. The beach was pristine and unlike I had ever witnessed before but what blew me away was the evening light. I could see the sun setting and the sky turning to a shade of golden orange and that is when I fell in love with this amazing island.

After that evening, I really didn't look forward to returning back home.

4. Blue Bay

Underwater life has always scared me a little which is why I have always been hesitant to snorkel. But, I overcame my fear in Blue Bay (Mauritius) and I am so glad for the experience. Blue Bay has one of the most amazing corals and underwater life which you can see from their special glass boat. And there are so many different kinds of fishes that it can become really exhilarating after a while.

So, anyone who truly wants to explore the underwater world then they have to snorkel in Blue Bay of Mauritius.

5. Le Pouce Peak

This one was exciting and thrilling because this mountain was the first time I ever did rock climbing. This mountain is shaped like a thumb so, the end stretch can be slightly steep to cross. But, once you do it and get over your fear, you are presented with the most amazing view ever. You can see Port Louis from here and other mountain ranges as well.

Also, the coastline from the top of this mountain looks really gorgeous. I felt like staying here for the entire day but alas, we had to make our journey back down too.

6. Le Morne

To be honest, I am terrified of heights and I am not too fond of trekking but the views from the mountains in Mauritius are so amazing that I would be a fool to miss out on them. One such place was Le Morne mountain. Apart from the gorgeous views and a thrilling trek, this place also holds a fascinating history.

It is a UNESCO Heritage site because years back, slaves used to hide here from the British and the French troops. Sadly, when Mauritius gained independence finally and some messengers came to deliver this message to the slaves hiding out here, the slaves committed suicide from the top. They feared that the troops were coming to capture them. It is a truly heartbreaking story.

7. Eau Bleue Waterfalls

I never believed that I could actually get to witness such a beautiful waterfall ever in my life. But, thankfully, Mauritius did give me a chance to enjoy a waterfall which had turquoise blue water. Trust me, it felt like I was in a fairytale land and anytime I would start flying and singing in the air.

Eau Bleue is one of my most favorite places in Mauritius and will always stay close to my heart. Because this place is what dreams are made up of.

There are several other amazing places in Mauritius which will make your heart beat faster, but the ones listed above are the ones close to my heart.

So, if you ever get a chance to visit Mauritius, make sure that you add at least a few of these places to your list.