11 Great Things About Winter Break
Dating

11 Things To Take Advantage Of Over Winter Break

How to make the most of your time at home.

171
Winter

Winter break is (finally) upon us, and for the first time we get to go home and have no academic responsibilities for a whole month. This time tends to seriously fly by, so it's important to make the most of it while it lasts.

That being said, here are 11 things to take advantage of while you are home for the holidays.

1. Home Cooked Meals

Let's face it. No matter how good your options are, campus food gets old.

Appreciate every second of the real, home-cooked meals you are greeted with over winter break before heading back to the world of dining halls and 5 minute salads.

2. Me-Time

Even if you are lucky enough to be living with your best friend at school (like me), having some down time to just be alone is so incredibly important and beneficial.

Campus is a place where you're somewhat forced to be social at almost all times, and this can be incredibly fun, but also incredibly exhausting and anxiety-inducing for some.

While you are home for break, definitely take advantage of all the time you have to yourself.

3. No Academic Responsibilities

While winter break is also our time to celebrate the holidays with our friends and family, it is also our time off after one semester ends and before the next begins. This in-between period grants us a few weeks of freedom from essay-writing, studying, and presentation prep, and I know I sure plan on cherishing every second of it.

We have all worked extremely hard this semester, and we deserve this time off before we go back for second semester and get right back into the swing of it all.

4. Family Time

Being home for these few weeks also means finally having more than just a few days to be with our families. Personally, I cannot wait to be back home with my dad and sister. Family has always been so incredibly important to me, and even moreso now that I don't get to see them every day. Family time is something I think we all take for granted every now and then, and I definitely plan on appreciating every single second of it that I have over break.

5. Sibling Bonding

My older sister and I have always been a hilarious, trouble-making pair, and I can't wait to have a whole month of laughs with her. Whether we are screaming at The Bachelor, making the dog run crazy even when our dad tells us not to, or making fools of ourselves in public places, we always have the best times together.

Being away from a sibling while you are at college can be hard, because a sibling is a built-in best friend. Make the most of the time you get to spend with them while home.

6. Your Own Space

Being home means not only do you have your me-time back, but you also don't have to deal with any annoying dorm neighbors that might affect you on campus.

You don't have to worry about your hall-mates driving you absolutely crazy when they are yelling in the hallway in the middle of the night, or even just yelling in their own room, but loudly enough to go right through the paper thin dorm walls.

You don't have to worry about that one person practicing a really strange, really loud instrument down the hall. And not being very good at it.

All in all, you just don't have to deal with the annoyances you might face in your dorm.

7. Water Pressure

We all know there are all kinds of problems with the water pressure in dorm showers. Some of them are like fire hoses. Some of them are a light mist. It's pretty hard to find a shower that has the right water pressure.

So, while you're home, appreciate it while it lasts.

8. Change of Scenery

Regardless of whether you are living in a traditional dorm room or a suite-style apartment, a change of scenery is always nice.

College housing can start to feel a little too tight, and being home for a month is such a nice change of pace in terms of having space to move around a bit more.

No matter how nice your college living accommodations might be, I'm sure we can all agree it just isn't the same as being home.

9. Pets

If you're like me, you miss your dog when you're at school. A lot.

Nothing is better than cuddling with your pup on a particularly exhausting or upsetting day, and I can't wait to be back home with my doggo.

Pets make a house a home.

10. Bagels (real ones)

Hi! I'm from Jersey! And yes, this is your daily "Jersey bagels are the best bagels" reminder.

Jersey bagels are the best bagels.

Regardless of your home state, though, we can surely all agree that campus bagels are not nearly as good. And that's because they just... aren't real bagels. I think we're all on the same page here.

Real bagels... I miss you. See you soon.

11. Driving

For those of us who don't commute and do not have our cars with us on campus, driving is something we miss.

Being in the car in general is something we miss.

Being home for break means you finally get to drive again, or be in the passenger seat. Either way, I can't wait to be back and bopping to music in the car.

Overall, winter break is something all of us greatly look forward to, especially during the intense stress that comes with finals.

In the meantime, remind yourself to eat, sleep, and breathe regardless of how stressed and busy you are. We have to take care of ourselves in these last couple of weeks.

Break will be here soon.