The Best Horror Movies And TV Shows To Check Out This Halloween

October is the perfect time to binge on horror!

26

As a fan of horror, I've had my fair share of watching the best and the worst stuff out there, but these are just some of my favorites that are perfect for the spooky month of October!

1. I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House

IMBb

This Netflix original is one of my favorites. It has a very eerie vibe, yet subtle calmness to it that makes the story very interesting to take in. It centered mainly around one character who is a Hospice nurse. She finds that the home of the women she is caring for may not be the normal home she thinks it is.

2. The Haunting of Hill House

Vulture

"The Haunting of Hill House" is a new series on Netflix that has been getting many great reviews. I decided to check it out for myself and could not have been more pleased. It's absolutely terrifying but has a great story to follow. Make sure you watch this one with a friend if you're not good with jump-scares. And be prepared to sleep with the lights on!

3. The Lazarus Effect

Variety

A college experiment turned wrong makes for a very enticing and scary story in "The Lazarus Effect". I recommend this one if you have an appeal for demons and possession within horror flicks!

4. As Above, So Below

8H89_FPF_00155R.JPG

Telegraph

Ever thought you'd see a group of adults venture into the Catacombs to find themselves in the belly of Hell? Well if you have(or even if you haven't) this is the movie for you. This is one of those found footage movies that you can actually bear to watch the whole way through.

5. Ghost Whipserer

ExtraTV

"Ghost Whisperer" is a classic supernatural horror show that never failed to scare or impress me. I watched this series in High School and still go back to re-watch it. Jennifer Love Hewitt is amazing in this role as a medium. Be prepared for drama, horror, and whole lot of ghosts if you decide to give this one a watch.

6. Get Out

Slate

If you haven't already seen this amazing movie, go watch it. Now. It's filled with twist, turns, and surprises that won't let you take your eyes of the screen.

7. Zodiac

TheReviewer

If you want a break from the supernatural horror, this is the perfect movie for you. Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, and Robert Downey Jr. play the roles of investigators and a reporter in this crime-horror. David Fincher executes this film perfectly and I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

8. The Ritual

HorrorFreakNews

Another great Netflix original horror movie. The friendships of four friends is put to the test in this horror story based in the woods. This film has a great build up to its strange twisted ending that will leave you shocked and terrified.

9. Jennifer's Body

Syfy

"Jennifer's Body" is one of my all-time favorite comedy horror movies. There is nothing better than watching Megan Fox become a man-eating demon. You'd be surprised how amazing and interesting this movie actually is. If you're looking for a laugh topped off with a frightening, yet attractive, demon in your horror movie, give this one a watch.

10. The Twilight Zone

CriminalElement

This classic Rod Serling horror, sci-fi series is always a good choice if you wanna kick back in bed and watch some strange, messed up, and mind-boggling stories. Each episode is a new story with a new unusual scenario.

11. Cloverfield franchise movies

Inverse

"Cloverfield", "10 Cloverfield Lane", and "The Cloverfield Paradox" will most defiantly not disappoint. Each film is different in their own way, but ultimately have the same origin and basis. "Cloverfield" is a found footage film based on an alien invasion, "10 Cloverfield Lane" is a psychological horror that follows a kidnapped women unaware of the dangers that may be out in the real world if she escapes, and "The Cloverfield Paradox" is a film following a group of astronauts that come across a major problem on their ship, which ends up leading to even bigger, weirder problems. If any of that sounds interesting to you, then these films are for you. I recommend starting from the beginning, but ultimately it will not affect any of the storylines.

12. The Blair Witch Project

Joe.ie

Another great found footage film. "The Blair Witch Project" will keep you on edge and waiting for the next scary scene to come. It's the first film in the series before, "The Blair Witch", which is also a great movie, and even more horrifying than the first. Give both of these a watch if you think your ready for what these stories follow.

13. Poltergiest

And last, but not least, "Poltergeist", another one of my top favorites. This film is a great adaptation of a modern-day paranormal experience following a family. It starts off slow and eerie and transitions into some alarmingly scary stuff, so this is another one you might want to watch with a friend.

There you have it. Some of the best horror movies I've watched! But if that wasn't enough, I highly recommend checking out Rotten Tomatoes, "150 Best Horror Movies". You'll find some amazing classics that are well worth that watch! Happy horror binging!