10 Albums That Prove You WERE Born In the Right Generation

Looking for some expansion of your musical boundaries? Check these albums out.

180

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of hearing that you hate today's musical landscape because artists just don't innovate like they used to. But you're just not looking for, or listening for, that kind of innovation. It's okay to prefer the old hits, but if you're looking for something new and special from this century, maybe you should start with these albums.

1. "99.9%" (2016) by Kaytranada

Dance producer Kevin Louis-Celestin's debut album can't even be described as any genre besides, well, Kaytranada. Never before have I seen an artist put forth such a strong and recognizable artistic identity with their debut album. Featuring guest appearances from the likes of Vic Mensa, Goldlink, Syd, Little Dragon, and Karriem Riggins, this incredible album is not one to sleep on.

2. "Late Registration" (2005) by Kanye West

On the off-chance that you missed Kanye's godlike hold on the 2000s, you should definitely check out this album. Even if you heard "Gold Digger" and "Touch the Sky," you still really haven't heard this album, which still crackles with a fresh fervor and spirit that honestly, I don't think has ever been replicated in rap music. This album latches on to you, and every little motif and musical hook just dig deeper and deeper into your soul, until you're crooning and vibing with a beautiful, expansive, orchestral rap album.

3. "The Great New Wonderful" (2015) by TiRon and Ayomari

TiRon and Ayomari are majorly slept on, and I think that if they released nothing else, "The Great New Wonderful" alone should be worthy of the legacy. From the heartfelt tones of "All We Are" to the hopeful ending notes of "Them Wallflowers", this 8-track album builds and draws you into a story and a message that has you dancing and staring jaw-droppedly at their incredibly effusive take on hip-hop in equal measures. If your foot doesn't tap at any point during this album, you may just not be human.

4. "In Rainbows" (2007) by Radiohead

Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is probably the most gorgeous 42 minutes you will ever treat your ears to. It's the acme of their aesthetic endeavors, wherein they prove, once and for all, that they have full and immediate command over whatever sonic innovation you throw their way. And they don't just make compelling music, they make compelling soundscapes, these worlds of music that utterly blow my mind.

5. "Ego Death" (2015) by The Internet

The Internet is kind of a jazzy-hop outfit that occasionally crosses the line into neo-bossa territory. They're so unique that I have to make up words to try to convey what they sound like. Just listen to this album, that's all I have to say.

6. "Ctrl" (2017) by SZA

SZA kind of popped up out of nowhere, but seeing that she was a signee to one of the most successful labels in modern music, Top Dawg Entertainment, I knew that she would be a compelling listen. And holy damn, "Ctrl" is perhaps the best debut album I've heard since M.I.A. made "Arular" (but I'll talk about that later). SZA walks a tightrope of delicacy, heartbreak, insecurity, pride, and most importantly, empowerment. She builds us her world and takes us through various vignettes, all the while guided by commentary on the experience of an African-American woman in today's America. Please, please, please give this one a listen. It's amazing.

7. "Upstream Color" [Original Score] (2013) by Shane Carruth

Shane Carruth's "Upstream Color," to be fair, is a movie that also should singlehandedly prove that film is also a continually expansive art form. But the fact that this kind of gorgeous, ethereal soundtrack is possible, it's just a wonderful meditation on the power of finding the right sound. Maybe I'm reading too much into this instrumental soundtrack, but god, is it sumptuous.

8. "Kala" (2007) by M.I.A.

So when M.I.A. released her first album, "Arular", in 2005, she turned the music industry on its head with her spicy, brimming musical compositions, which were simultaneously headbangers and headscratchers. How could she expand on this? Well as it turns out, by leaning into the madness. "Kala" is pure, but controlled, chaos, dynamically juxtaposing the braggadocio and serious morality. "Bird Flu" sneaks social commentary into a bombastic sea of percussion. "Mango Pickle Down River" lets M.I.A. trade bars with indigenous Australian boys in a surprisingly head-bobbing fashion. And the album features "Paper Planes," which, in addition to providing biting commentary about xenophobia, is just, I don't know, the greatest song of the entire century?

9. "Hud Dreems" (2015) by Knxwledge

Knxwledge is a beatmaker who's gaining a lot of traction for his offbeat, unorthodox production style, which really does stretch our musical boundaries. But this album infuses it with the human soul and emotional spectrum in a way that not a lot of albums, in general, are able to convey. These beats are pretty hard to rap over, but that's only because it would feel like tainting an already so cohesive and complete song.

10. "Donuts" (2006) by J Dilla

J Dilla's "Donuts" is probably the greatest reflection of an individual musician ever put to vinyl, or whatever you happen to listen to this album on. Dilla's ability to find the right sample (not just a great sample, but the exact right one) and convey his life story and final thoughts on his deathbed, it's simply unparalleled. He's one of the greatest musicians in pop culture history. Easily. Far and away. "Welcome to the Show" makes me misty every time I hear it, because I can feel J Dilla, celebrating his life and his transition into a new transcendent phase of existence. It's unbelievably beautiful.