5 Of The Best Met Gala Outfits

5 Truly Elegant Outfits Worn By A-Listers In The Previous Years Of The Met Gala

In honor of the recent 2019 Met Gala, I decided to take a trip down memory lane to remember the outfits that were not the chaotic, out-of-the-box styles. Instead, I wanted to recall the ones that were unforgettable and classic.

88

The nationally (and internationally) known Met Gala is the mother of all exclusive events, requiring the most known people, in the most grandiose of outfits, to come together and share in a night of acknowledgment of fashion. Not many can pull off looks that catch the eyes of millions yet still take your breath away with the exception of Priyanka Chopra, Scarlett Johansson, Blake Lively, and Elle Fanning. Take a look at some of the outfits from Met Galas that lead with extravagance and follow with elegance!

1. Priyanka Chopra, 2018

There is something about the deep crimson velvet and accented gold chained hood that enhances the elegance that Priyanka Chopra embodies — something that I never knew was possible. In addition, the matching train adds a sophistication to the dress and, furthermore, separately attaching the train to the dress instead of creating a single piece accentuates the length of her body. Royalty is the only word that comes to mind when I reference this outfit. I cannot think of anyone else that would wear it better.

2. Scarlett Johansson, 2018

There is just something about Scarlett Johansson that exudes elegance. She also has strong energy about her as well, which balances these characteristics and, quite frankly, makes her a star to remember. In 2018, Johansson modeled this beautiful gown, highlighting soft flowers and draping ombre fabric. To follow this classic feel, the bodice is fitted with off the shoulder sleeves and more accent flowers. She modestly used dainty jewelry and shorter hair to give more emphasis to the gown, which pulled this look together completely, in my opinion. From now on, I am keeping a close eye on Miss Johansson at future galas!

3. Blake Lively, 2016

Who else is not surprised that Blake Lively is in this lineup? After following up on her Met Gala outfits throughout the years, she has truly dressed the part as the queen that she is. Blake Lively alone has a young, yet sophisticated vibe to anything she does — from playing television characters such as Serena van der Woodsen to being Ryan Reynolds's wife to owning red carpets year after year. This dress from 2016 clearly emphasizes these qualities as it is youthful but powerful. The use of flower embroidery on her train and gentle blush tones caught the eyes of many besides the fact that she is also Blake Lively, that is.

4. Blake Lively, 2014

Again? Yep!

Blake Lively is an icon when it comes to elegance in the showbiz world, and this gown can't help but emphasize that. In my opinion, the use of neutral tones, airy fabrics, low cuts, more fitted angles, and lightly waved hair screams 1930s. The gown demands attention but in a polite way — let's face it, not many can pull off. It seems like the second a train or cape is put on any outfit she wears. She is also theoretically wearing a crown to match. Hands down, one of my favorite Blake Lively looks.

5. Elle Fanning, 2017

Can we all agree that Elle Fanning has a fairy vibe?

In 2017, Fanning starred in this baby blue, strapless empire waist gown. Looking closely, there are hints of lavender coloring and added fullness to the skirt which further adds to the fairy tale feel. The draping on this dress is simple but classic — true to Elle Fanning's style. Her accessories were minimal with the use of studded earrings and an accent headband which works well for the style of this gown. Honest opinion: all around beautiful.

Among the craziness of the Met Gala looks, I always enjoy noticing the styles that embody the elegance of the red carpet. It just so happens that these looks were perfectly paired to the celebrities that would take them to the next level.