Between parent’s weekends, having horrible roommates, rush week, move in/out, and living in less than desirable apartments, I’ve spent a lot of time in hotels. Let's be honest, nobody wants to spend over $100 on a hotel room just for the hotel to be awful. So I’ve put together a list of, what I think, are the best hotels in Tuscaloosa.

Home 2 Suites by Hilton

Current Rate: $174

Located off University Boulevard in downtown Tuscaloosa, it is a quiet and family-friendly environment. The hotel offers free WiFi and free breakfast, and who doesn’t love free food? The lobby is made for lounging, and there is an outdoor patio with fire pits and grills. There is an indoor pool and fitness center as well. Each room has space and equipment to cook--including silverware measuring cups etc.-- and is very spacious.

This is my absolute favorite hotel to stay at. This school year alone I’ve stayed here three different times. The second time was during finals week in December. The girl I was living with was beyond any definition of crazy, and I needed to have a space I wouldn’t get locked out of and my stuff wouldn’t get damaged. The staff was incredible. They remembered who I was, was polite to every single guest, treated me with respect, and would even ask me how my final went every day I came back to my room.

Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa

Current Rate: $169

Located off Hollywood Boulevard, it is the last hotel in a string of hotels behind the movie theater. They have an indoor heated pool, a 24-hour fitness center. The “Pavilion Pantry,” located in the lobby, is also open 24 hours. While the hotel is within walking distance of Starbucks, IHOP, Zaxby’s, and a multitude of other restaurants, the hotel also has their own bar and grill in the lobby.

Hotel Indigo

Current Rate: $196

Located off Greensboro Avenue, this hotel is on the same property as the Riverfront Village Apartments. It also is right on the river and the riverwalk. It is home to the only rooftop bar in the city, and it overlooks the Black Warrior River. They also have Shoal’s Bar located in the hotel lobby, and Heritage House is right next door. The hotel also has a 24-hour business center and an on-site business center as well.

SpringHill Suites by Marriott

Current Rate: $142

Located on Greensboro Avenue. it is the first of a string of hotels all in a row. They have a swimming pool, a fitness center, and a laundry room. It is located by the movie theater, an IHOP, Starbucks, Zaxby’s, and many other restaurants all within walking distance.

Embassy Suites by Hilton

Current Rate: $229

Also located off University Boulevard, The Embassy Suites and their restaurant, Side By Side, is one mile from the university. They have an indoor swimming pool and a 24-hour fitness center. This hotel also offers two-room suites, made to order breakfast, and free WiFi.

Everyone who is from out of state understands that there is a small window of opportunity to get a hotel room in town, especially when something is going on in town. And let's be honest, sometimes we procrastinate and forget. So here are two of my favorite hotels to stay at in Birmingham.

Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook, Autograph Collection

Standard Rates: $332 a night

Drive Time: One hour

This hotel offers a variety of rooms. A standard room with one king-sized bed, another option is a room with two queen-sized beds. There is also have their “Soaking Tub Room.,” the luxurious “Bohemian Suite,” and lastly the “Grand Bohemian” has two bedrooms, each with one king-sized bed. There are also two marble bathrooms. The separated living and kitchen area include a fireplace, pantry, silverware, dishes, glasses, and a mini-fridge.

This hotel features a Grand Bohemian Art Gallery, the Habitat Cooking School, Bohemian Wine Blending and Tasting, the Habitat Feed and Social “farm to table” rooftop restaurant, and the Habitat Feed and Social Bar also located on the rooftop terrace overlooking the Botanical Gardens. Lastly there is an outdoor pool and a 24 hour fitness center. There is also the Poseidon Spa located within the hotel.

The Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa

Standard Rates were not listed.

Drive Time: One Hour

This golf resort offers its guests room service, virtual concierge, a barber and beauty shop, and valet dry cleaning. They have a convenience store, room service, and a breakfast buffet. They have The Clubhouse Restaurant, The Coffee Shop, and JT’s Lounge.

There are a variety of activities, making this a hotel that has something for everyone. There is a biking trail, jogging and fitness trail, a fitness center, outdoor lighted tennis courts, The Spa at Ross Bridge, a whirlpool, a saltwater outdoor pool with a slide and children’s pool, and an indoor saltwater pool.

The RTJ at Ross Bridge Golf Course has 18 holes, a driving range, and putting green. It is complete with a clubhouse and golf shop, a clubhouse restaurant, rentals and private golf lessons, and also a golf program for juniors.