Best Friends Or Sisters?

Best Friends Or Sisters?

What it's like being best friends with your sister or sisters.

14
Best Friends Or Sisters?
Maranda Cooper

The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other.

I've always had a friend by my side. Even when all of my actual friends walked out on me, I had my sister. If you're lucky like me though, you have two which just means double the fun and double the love.

I grew up with an older sister who always had to insert her advice, because "she's been there before and wants to save me the hurt" or I got the fearless advice from my little sister who thought I could do anything because I was older than her. No matter what it was, it was coming from them both.

I never thought I would be close to my sisters like I am. I figured we would have our days and moments where we leaned on each other, but I never knew they would be my actual backbone. They are the only reason I haven't gone completely bonkers yet.

I can't begin to count how many times I've called a "friend" to be there for me but they were busy, or there was no answer. The next person I was calling was one of my sisters, (and I'd be calling the second one next).

I think being best friends with my sister(s) has taught me quite a few things:

1) The very first thing I learned is that I'm never alone. It doesn't matter how lonely I'm feeling, or how mad we are at each other, I've always got someone in my corner cheering me on with open arms.

2) I learned that no one, and I mean no one, is going to defend your name like your sister(s) will. They will go down fighting with every inch that they can to defend you as a person.

3) I learned that you will always have someone who understands why you're upset with your parents. There will never be anyone who knows how your parents are, why they say what they say, and what they do more than your siblings in general. It's the perfect therapy.

4) I also learned that I will always have someone to make me laugh and smile. I couldn't imagine my life or my relationship with my sister(s) without all of the secrets and inside jokes like we have. When I need something to just giggle at after a long day, I can call either one of my sisters and you best believe I'll be hanging up the phone crying from laughing so hard.

5) Lastly, I learned that no one is going to love me so openly like my sister(s) do(es). I can make the biggest mistake of my life, or say the meanest thing ever imagined, and they still forgive me and love me more than they did yesterday. I have never seen that kind of love that forgives and forgets so easily, other than my parents of course. I couldn't imagine my life without my big and little sissy.

So if you have any sisters, or even any brothers, be thankful for your life long friend. I couldn't do this life without mine.