When A Best Friend Moves Away, It Isn't The End Of The Road

Why Distance Doesn't Mean Anything When It Comes To Best Friends

When you're best friend moves away, you realize how strong a bond you have no matter the distance.

26
Corrine Harding

Growing up means growing closer and farther apart with people around you, and one of the most saddening and exciting times is when your best friend moves away. Not just 20 minutes farther away or even a few hour drive, but when they move to a completely new state in another part of the country or world. You experience a rollercoaster of emotions as you feel excited for them but also an unexplainable sadness.

This sadness is a chapter closing in your guy's lives. It isn't the end of a friendship, though it is the end to only being 15 minutes apart. No longer can you go on spur-of-the-moment shopping trips or ice cream runs, and that end of an era is a hard pill to swallow. You know that your friendship will evolve as time goes on, but it is so hard to go through the growing pains of the new move. Your eyes may prick with tears as you say the "see you laters" and "I'll miss you's," but you know that no matter how far away they live from you they are just a text or FaceTime away.

Not only are you sad as you see your friend pack up their lives, but they are too. They are changing their lives and potentially leaving everyone and everything behind them. As your best friend gets started with planning their move, you become a shoulder to cry on and someone can vent to about the good and bad of it all. Their move doesn't just affect you or them, but it also affects all of their loved ones. As they begin this move, a large support system forms between everyone to help make this big life event happen.

You're excited because usually with a move means there is a new opportunity for your friend- whether it is a career change, a relationship moving to a new step, or the desire to see more of the world. Either way, even with the sadness of this change, you are literally so excited for them. From shopping for throw pillows to hearing about their job interviews, you want to support them and can't help but feel giddy about their new lives. Their happiness is truly your happiness, and you can't wait to see what this new adventure will bring them.

As you help them pack their stuff up in cardboard boxes in hopes of not breaking any of their fragile items, make sure to soak in the moments. Take silly selfies as you pack and ride in the car together. Make sure to send them texts throughout their time away. The problem that most friendships face when people move, whether permanent or just to college, is that it easy to forget to stay in contact with each other. We tend to live in our own lives and forget about the ones who are not as easily accessible.

If you are about to have a best friend move away, the friend who is moved, or in a long-distance friendship, take the time to call them and catch up. The few minutes of talking or several hour conversations will be good for both of your souls and will help make the distance seem not so far.