10 Disney Animated Favorites

10 Disney Movies That Will Make You Miss Your Childhood

A list of my animated favorites ranging from "Hercules" to "Monsters Inc."

86

Just about everyone that breathes air and has seen a Disney movie has fallen in love with the animated characters that light up the screen before their eyes. Disney created an empire that lives on past his death and has brought joy to countless children and adults. In no particular order, here are 10 of my must-watch animated Disney films (along with my favorite songs, when applicable).

1. "Hercules"

static.comicvine.com

*Honey you mean, HUNKULES* Ever since I read Rick Riordian's series of books starring Percy Jackson, I've been addicted to Greek mythology. Perhaps I wouldn't love this movie as much if I had seen it when I was younger instead of two years ago having read said series. Regardless, I love this movie. What's not to love about learning some Greek mythology while being treated to excellent musical numbers?

Best Song: "I Won't Say I'm In Love"

2. "Mulan"

paperlief.com

"Mulan" is probably my absolute favorite Disney film. I still watch it over and over again as an adult. I don't know whether it's the empowering female lead or the big hearted, tiny dragon that draws me in, but I could probably watch this movie every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. I also love that the story of Mulan is based on a true Chinese legend. Really, there was nothing about this movie that I didn't like. Well, except for the Huns of course.

Best Song: "Be A Man"

3. "Finding Nemo"

c1.staticflickr.com

I can almost quote this entire movie word for word. This movie is the first one that I remember seeing in theaters, and, from the first moment that I was introduced to the bright colors and comical characters, I was hooked (wink wink). Granted, I will totally skip the first scene of this movie and pretend that Nemo's mom never dies and that there was just an unfortunate separation between Marlin and his wife. And as if you didn't need another reason to love this movie, it has Ellen in it. It's literally perfection.

Best Song: "Just Keep Swimming"

5. "Ratatouille"

i.ytimg.com

This is my best friend's favorite movie, but I enjoy it quite a bit too, partially because I can really relate to Remy. When I was younger, I wanted to be a chef. I loved to cook, and kept a binder of my favorite recipes and recipes I wanted to try in the future. I would spend evenings cutting pictures of dishes out of magazines and planning them menu for the restaurant that I wanted to start one day. I even had a floor plan. Needless to say, a movie about a rat that achieves his dreams of becoming a chef was pretty much made for me.

5. "The Incredibles"

otakukart.com

This movie was undoubtedly one of Disney's finest. If you disagree, look at all of the hype there was for the sequel on Twitter. Who wouldn't love a movie about a whole family of superheroes that has to work together to save the world from the ultimate villain? My favorite scene is when Dash and Violet have to use their powers together to save themselves from Syndrome's henchmen. It's action packed, heartwarming, and has a killer soundtrack that comes to mind every time I even think of the title.

6. "Lilo & Stitch"

cdn.empireonline.com

"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." Wild and unruly child? Check. Beautiful Hawaii landscape? Check. Space aliens? Check. This movie pretty much has every source of variety you could want. If you don't fall in love with the adorable and mischievous blue "dog," then you probably aren't human. Let's not forget the boyfriend of Lilo's older sister is actually the most underrated character in the movie. He stuck by her side through, possibly, the weirdest plot in Disney history. I can't express the love I hold for this movie, but if you haven't seen it, definitely make an effort to.

Best Song: "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride"

7. "The Lion King"

camerastyloonline.files.wordpress.com

If Disney can take "Hamlet", put it in Africa, and add musical numbers that will earn it a remake on Broadway, what can't they do? Now let's admit, we all watch this movie 90% because of Timone and Pumba and 10% because of everyone else. Also, if you don't cry during the wildebeest scene, you are a heartless hyena and deserve to live in the elephant graveyard. We all knew that Disney had stepped up its game when this movie hit the theaters, and we've been with them ever since.

Best Song: "Be Prepared"

8. "The Aristocats"

yt3.ggpht.com

I've found that this is one of the lesser known Disney movies, but definitely not one of the lesser loved. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Berlioz the black cat who loves to play the piano and his brother Toulouse who can't seem to stay out of trouble. Marie, on the other hand, was just kind of whiny. One thing that really makes a movie is it's supporting characters, and I think that's why I love "The Aristocats" so much. You've got the horse and the mouse who are trying to save Dutchess and the kittens. There's also the two dogs who have it out for Edgar. Last, but not least, there's a band of jazz playing alley cats that end up saving the day. I've always loved real llfe cats, but these animated ones will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Best Song: "Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat"

9. "Peter Pan"

c8.alamy.com

I think we can all admit that we've wanted to find the second star to the right and go straight on 'till morning after we saw this movie. Faith, trust, and pixie dust? Count me in. "Peter Pan" was more than just a standalone film. It had sequels, inspired a Robin Williams live-action spin-off, and probably scared more kids than just me of large reptiles with clocks in their bellies. This was the first movie that I saw in theaters, though I was too young to remember. Perhaps that's why I still love it to this day.

Best Song: "You Can Fly!"

10. "Monsters Inc."

upperarlingtonoh.gov

This movie was another where the colors drew me in before the plot. I can remember as a kid watching this movie on our VHS and making sure I waited until the very end to see the short, "Mike's New Car." Boo was and probably is the cutest Disney character to have ever graced our screens. Put her next to a big teddy bear of monster named Sully, and your heart will literally melt with happiness. After watching this movie, we all hoped that there were monsters under our beds and in our closets. Monsters except for Randall, of course.

Best Song: "Put That Thing Back Where It Came From or So Help Me"

Maybe you don't agree with this list, but these ten movies had an immense impact on my childhood (and adulthood). I have favorite scenes, know all of the songs, and love when one pops up as a recently added on Netflix. I guess I might say to these Disney movies that, "I Wouldn't Have Nothin' If I Didn't Have You."