4 Disney Movies That Are Perfect For A Spooky Season Movie Marathon

Disney's Halloween movies never failed to get every child pumped for Halloween, and they are still perfect for getting you in the mood for spooky season.

29
magic kingdom fall decor

Fall is the best time of year. The leaves start to change, the air is chilly, and of course, there's Halloween. Obviously, horror movies and haunted houses are great for this time of year, but they get to be too much after a while. Especially if you aren't a fan of gore and horror, Halloween can seem like the worst. On the bright side, there are other types of films that are great for this time of year.

Disney Channel's "Monstober" used to be my favorite thing during the spooky season. The "31 Days of Halloween" specials and movies sounded like a blast to me. It wasn't about dressing up or going to parties; it was about the fun side of Halloween - dressing up, trick or treating, and carving pumpkins. Although it's not yet October, the spooky season can never start too early. Grab your pumpkin spice latte, some candy, and get ready. These four movies are best for bringing back the excitement and joy that "Monstober" used to give us all.

1. "Halloweentown" (1998)

Marnie Piper and her Grandma Aggie are flying on a broomstick in HalloweentownGiphy

This list wouldn't be complete without "Halloweentown." Of course, every "Halloweentown" movie is fantastic, but the original hits different. Released in 1998, "Halloweentown" tells the story of Marnie Piper and her family. She learns that she is a witch on her 13th birthday, and the Piper family fights an evil force that threatens Halloweentown and the rest of the world. It features Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Aggie and Kimberly J. Brown as Marnie.

A personal favorite, "Halloweentown" is the perfect movie to kick off your spooky season. Along with the incredible plot, it radiates childhood nostalgia. It's light-hearted and fun and embodies the feeling of Halloween. It's got everything - witches, goblins, werewolves, and ghosts. It's perfect for watching on a chilly fall night when the wind is howling outside. What more could you want from a Halloween movie?

2. "The Haunted Mansion" (2003)

haunted house ghosts GIFGiphy

One of my personal favorite movies of all time, let alone Halloween movies, is "The Haunted Mansion." This masterpiece stars Eddie Murphy as Jim Evers, from Evers and Evers Real Estate. He stops by the Gracey mansion with his family while on his way to a family trip to the lake. Things get weird when the owner (and ghost), Edward Gracey, meets Sara Evers, Jim's wife, who looks a lot like his lost love Elizabeth. A storm hits, and the family is forced to spend the night at the manor, which turns out to be more than the Evers family packed for. The butler, Ramsey, is not only creepy looking but a creepy dude.

This Disney classic is based off of the Haunted Mansion ride in the Magic Kingdom. "The Haunted Mansion" never gets old, and Eddie Murphy's humor seamlessly works its way into the film. Along with the cheesy humor, this movie is, at its roots, about family. Like most Disney movies, "The Haunted Mansion" has a heartwarming happily ever after.

This movie is perfect to get you in the spooky mood. There's nothing more Halloween than a haunted house. Whether with friends or by yourself, "The Haunted Mansion" makes you excited for October 31st.

3.  "Hocus Pocus" (1993)

The Sanderson sistes are reaching towards the cameraGiphy

"Hocus Pocus" is a Halloween movie that never seems to get old. Max Dennison explores an abandoned house with his sister Dani and their friend Allison. Max accidentally frees a coven of evil witches, The Sanderson Sisters, who are on a mission to regain their youth. With the help of a magical cat, they must steal the witches' spell book to stop them. Once you get past the outdated effects, and corny dialogue, "Hocus Pocus" is great for getting you into the Halloween spirit.

"Hocus Pocus" has the perfect combination of spook and humor. It embodies the greatness that was 90s movies. Like the other movies on this list, "Hocus Pocus" reminds you of Halloween when you were a kid when the holiday was about trick or treating and getting as much candy as possible. It brings back the excitement of sorting all of your candy and trading with your friends to get your favorites. They just don't make Halloween movies like they used to.

4. "Mickey's House of Villains" (2002)

Mickey tiptoeing down a hallway with a flashlight.Giphy

The early 2000s were the elite era of Halloween movies. "Mickey's House of Villains" is by no means scary, or even creepy, but it is great for this time of year. This animated piece features your favorite Disney villains, gathered together on Halloween. It has clips of your favorite Disney animations, old and new. Of course, this was made for kids, but Halloween is the best time to let out your inner child.

It's a light-hearted take on Halloween. It brings back memories of carving pumpkins and Halloween classroom parties. If you're not a fan of actual scary movies and want something to get you in the mood for the season, "Mickey's House of Villains" is the movie for you.