Going To Marshall University Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

My home is where the Herd is.

209
Brandi Stroup

It feels like yesterday I was a student at Ripley High School reading my acceptance letter to Marshall University. Before I knew it, I was graduating high school ranked seventh in my class and heading to Huntington ready to begin a new chapter. I definitely had my uncertainties and fears. What high school graduate doesn't? Leaving behind everything I ever knew what intimidating, yet I was excited for all the adventures that were to come in college.

I remember the day I first moved into my freshman dorm. It was my first year in the Marching Thunder, and we had to move in a couple weeks early for band camp. I was unpacking all my things, surrounded by my family when it suddenly hit me. I had lived a pretty sheltered life growing up. I had slept at other friends' and family's houses before, but I had never moved away from home. I was about to enter a new chapter in life that I knew absolutely nothing about. I managed to keep the tears inside until right before they left, and even then I kept most of them inside until I was back in my dorm for the night. My brother had left a very encouraging note on my desk, which only made me cry more. After most of the tears had passed, I felt this sense of deep peace. Yes, I was in a new and unknown place but this was where I was supposed to be. This was where I was going to pursue my education, making lasting friends, and grow so much as a person.

Four years later I can definitely say that all of those things happened plus so much more than what I could have ever imagined. I have seen some of the best and worst in people, including myself. I have also learned a lot about myself. My strengths and weaknesses have both been amplified.

A lesson I have learned this past year, and will probably continue to learn as I venture throughout life, is giving myself grace. I have no problems with being kind to others. In fact, that is a quality most people say when asked to describe me. I am awful at being gracious with myself. I have high expectations set and I hate it when I fall short. It is something I am definitely going to be working on for a long while.

I am so thankful for the people that I have met during my time in college. Each friendship looks a little different with different memories, but along the way they became family to me. I know life is going to take us all in different directions, but you never know when your paths will cross again. It is a small world. Plus, the world of social media is great.

Overall, I could not have picked a better school to have gone to for my bachelor's degree. Marshall was the only school I had applied to because to me, there were no other options. I visited multiple times during high school, and I fell more in love with it each time. While the past four years have been great, they definitely have not been easy. Yes I did get to meet wonderful people, do wonderful things, visit incredible places, and pursue a major that I have fallen in love with. However, amongst all that was a lot of stress, tears, and heartbreak. I would not have changed it for anything if I could though. Life lessons were learned in those difficult moments, and maybe my suffering happened so I would be able to lessen someone else's. At the very least I came out of each situation a stronger person.

I can honestly say Marshall University has been one of my best decisions ever, and I hope to return for my master's degree. In the meantime though, taking a break is good. It's been a rollercoaster of a 4 years, but I have enjoyed every moment of it. My home is where the Herd is, and I will always been a daughter of Marshall. It's been real. Go Herd.