Where You Can Find The Best Croquetas In Miami

A Croqueta Connoisseur's guide to good eating in Miami

577
Miami Eater

Being born and raised in Miami, I have grown up eating Croquettes or as us Miamians call them “Croquetas”. Next to Mac and Cheese, croquetas are probably my favorite food and some how over time my love for this food become iconic to my aesthetic. That being said I have driven all around Miami and tried some amazing (and some bad) croquetas. From ham and cheese to fish or chicken here is this Croqueta Connoisseurs list of best croquetas in Miami and depending on what you are in the mood for.

Angelique Euro Cafe

Two things make Angelique Euro Cafe’s croquets so special. First, they are different than most croquetas you will find in Miami. These have more of a Spanish influence instead of a Cuban influence and that changes the way it tastes. The breading is lighter, but crunchy and the filling is just the perfect amount. Which brings me to the second reason these are hands down the best croquetas. The restaurant fills the croquetas not only with ham, but also Manchego cheese. They are a bit pricey and finding parking around the restaurant is difficult. Yum! I can close my eyes and imagine tasting it right now.

Taste: 5

Presentation: 5

Price: $$$$

Islas Canarias

The big croqueta debate in Miami basically takes two sides. Islas Canarias versus Versailles. Many will tell you Islas Canarias has the best Croquetas in Miami. These are more typical and less gourmet, but just as amazing. These are lightly breaded and are filled to the absolute max with delicious fillings. My favorite here are the ham croquetas because the thought of them alone makes your mouth water. If you want a traditional croqueta Isla Canarias is where to go. Most of the people I have asked all say that Isla Canarias has the BEST Croquetas. They are also pretty inexpensive.

Taste: 4

Presentation: 3

Price: $$

Versailles

The other half of the croqueta debate Versailles is another must doculinary site. Their croquetas are similar to Isla Canarias when it comes to the filling but the outside texture is much more crunchy. Depends what you prefers, they still both are delicious. Add some lime on top and enjoy! Another added bonus to Versailles is that while you are eating one of the best croquetas in town you are also dining at the oldest Cuban restaurant in Miami.

Taste: 4

Presentation: 3

Price: $$

Havana Harry’s

Hidden in the heart of Coral Gables sits one of my personal favorite Cuban restaurants. As you can guess it is one of my favorite because of its croquetas. What makes Havana Harry’s croquetas different is the variety of flavor option s and how each of them are just as good. They have an amazing bacalao, or fish, croquette as well as a savory chicken croqueta. You can try them all or pair one with your meal. Either way they are sure to make you want seconds.

Taste: 3.75

Presentation: 4

Price: $$$

Larios on the Beach

Similar to Angelique’s, Larios takes a gourmet twist on the cultural favorite. They use Serano ham as a filling and garnish the plate with a lime and a Guava reduction sauce for dipping. That is the perfect sweet and savory combination if you ask me. They have the thin breading and plenty of filling.

Taste: 4.5

Presentation: 5

Price: $$$$

Vicky Bakery, Ariana Bakery, and Many others

A huge part of the Croqueta culture in Miami is picking them up from a local bakery for parties or early in the morning for breakfast with a shot of cuban coffee. When it comes time for that quick stop you will not want to wait at a sit down restaurant and order instead you can stop in at one of the many local bakeries. Some of my favorite are:

Vicky Bakery: They definitely have the best filling in the bakery world.

Ariana Bakery: Love this place, possibly because I would go there with my grandfather all the time and they make the best croqueta sandwiches.

But do not worry there are so many other bakeries worth stopping in and picking up a couple to go.

Taste: 3.5

Presentation: 2

Price: $

Honorable Mentions

Sergio’s

Molina’s Ranch

La Carretta

Palomilla Grill

Publix (yes public has good croquets)

At the end of the day what really matter is what you are looking, but trust me you will not go wrong at any of these places.