Best books to read this December

6 Books To Get You Into The Holiday Spirit

Curl up with a good book and your Christmas p.j.'s this December.

49
http://finda.photo/image/9062

It's December! Winter is in full swing for most of us, and Christmastime is almost here. If you're an avid reader like me, all these snowstorms and low temperature make you want to do nothing more than curl up in bed or on the couch with a hot beverage and a really good book. So, what better way to get into the holiday spirit than to crack open a good, wintry themed book? Whether you prefer tea, coffee, or hot cocoa in your mug, the seven books may fit your taste perfectly.

1. “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens.

d1w7fb2mkkr3kw.cloudfront.net

Of course, this has to be number one on my list! This is one of the most famous Christmas stories of all time. It's been retold time and time again. The muppets even did an adaptation of it with Michael Caine in 1992. This book is an absolute classic, and if you've never had the pleasure of reading it, you definitely should this holiday season. Even if you have read it, it isn't particularly long, and it makes a good re-read if you just want to sink into something that will put you in a Christmas mood. If you're not a fan of the style I am sure you could find a wide variety of spin-offs or adaptations of the original story to read, too. For instance, "Mr. Dickens and His Carol", a love story by Samantha Silva.

2. “Let It Snow” by John Green, Lauren Myracle and Maureen Johnson.

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

This is a collection of stories all involving Christmas. Each story is written by a separate author but takes place in the same town over the course of the same snowstorm. They can be silly, romantic and heartwarming. If you like Christmas hijinks, love stories and teacup pigs, this is the book for you.

3. “Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares” by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn.

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

This is another YA, but it's a really charming story. A girl named Lily in New York City is not having a really good Christmas. However, when Dash, who is also not having the best holiday, finds her "book of dares," they end up going a bit of a whirlwind adventure that turns things around for both of them. It's fun and romantic, and it's perfect if you want something light and fluffy to put you in the mood for Christmas.

4. "What Light" by Jay Asher. 

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

Yes, I know, this one is also YA. However, Jay Asher, the author, was also the author of "13 Reasons Why," which has recently become a Netflix original series an absolute sensation. So, if you're one of the many who is a fan of "13 Reasons Why" then you should give this book a try. It is a love story about a girl whose family own a Christmas tree farm and a boy with a dark, mysterious past. I highly recommend it.

5. “A Very Merry Princess” by Susan Mallery.

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

So, this is one of those cheesy romance books that grown women love to read, I'll admit it. However, it's a New York Times best-seller, and a really fun story. A princess disguises herself as an everyday girl and finds herself at a horse ranch in California, where a worker falls in love with her pretend persona, and then she's faced with the challenge of revealing who she really is. If you were a fan of "A Christmas Prince" on Netflix, as so many were, this is the book for you!

6. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss. 

upload.wikimedia.org

Okay, this is last on my list, and I know that it's a children's book, but it still deserves to be named here. This book is one of the most famous Christmas stories of all times, like "A Christmas Carol", and has been adapted time and time again. It has two animated film versions, one from 1966 and one from 2018. It also has a live-action version from 2000, directed by Ron Howard, starring Jim Carrey. There is even a stage performance done of it every year at "Universal Studios Orlando" titled "The Grinchmas Wholiday Spectacular" featuring music by Manheim Steamroller. However, no matter the adaptation, the message stays the same. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is all about how the true meaning for the season does not come from a store, but from your heart.

So, let the snow come down this holiday season. You have nowhere to be except cozied up with a book of your choice. Get a blanket and your favorite mug, and maybe even a snuggle buddy ready to read your way into the Christmas season! You'll probably find me in my pajamas by the Christmas tree.