The Best Children Book Series of All Time

10 Book Series That Defined My Childhood

Lights out as a kid still meant hiding under your bed covers reading till 12am.

136
Sera Mugeta

Everyone loves a good children's book. Whether it be Percy Jackson, The Hungry Caterpillar, or Katie Kazoo Switcheroo, children's books make it incredibly easy to time travel back to the euphoric times of childhood. Back when you hid under your covers at 11 pm reading when you were supposed to be sleeping.

Some people are also incredibly protective over their favorite childhood books. I'm not one to talk, but it could get pretty ugly if you called one of my favorite book series the worst of all time. From my first day of pre-school, I was always reading. So yes, these are my favorite children book series of all time. Enjoy.

1. 'Percy Jackson and The Olympians' By Rick Riordan

The god tier of all children's books. To this day, I still read any book that the author of this series, Rick Riordan publishes. No book makes me feel transported to this realm of Greek mythology as his do.

2. 'Geronimo Stilton' Elisabetta Dami

I completely forgot about this book series before I started this article and am ashamed. This was my favorite book with graphics in it. I remember Geronimo's love interest and how much I wanted them to get together and finally be happy.

3. 'Nancy Drew: Girl Detective' Carolyn Keen

Nancy Drew: Girl Detective had me on my seat as a kid. I would always try to guess who the culprit was the whole book but was usually wrong. I remember one book were they, Nancy, Bess, and George traveled to a tropical country for a bike race or safari. I still remember being frustrated trying to figure out the suspect of that book.

4. 'Magic Tree House' By Mary Pope Osborne

A classic. Everyone always got into their treehouses or little nooks around their house and pretend to travel back in time. I have a huge appreciation for this book series as it probably taught me how to read.

5. 'Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo'  By Nancy E. Krulik

I don't know how many people read this book series but it was truly a trip. The main character, Katie Kazoo, would end up switching into other's bodies at very random times. I still vividly remember Katie switching into the body of her classroom pet Guinea Pig. Not sure what lesson she learned from that, but it must've been important.

6. 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' By Lemony Snicket, Daniel Handler

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny truly had an unfortunate life. Was it because of Count Olaf? No. It was all Mr. Poe. How many times did the Baudelaire children need to prove to Mr. Poe that Count Olaf was a master manipulator? Mr. Poe got me all riled up as a kid.

7. 'The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel' by Michael Scott

I just finished re-reading this series a couple days ago and forgot how good it is. Sophie and Josh Newman get to these bad-ass powers and shit and are the twins of the legendary prophecy. Can't get much cooler than that.

8. 'Goosebumps' by R.L Stine

I started reading 'Goosebumps' late as a kid. And I still remember being creeped out by it. As a kid, and even now, I can get pretty freaked out easily if I watch/read something slightly scary during the night. These books definitely contributed to some of my insomniac nights as a kid.

9. 'Judy Moody' By Megan McDonald

I related to Judy Moody a lot as a kid because I was one moody kid. I just always remember liking these books after I read them. The book series is also much better than the movie!

10. 'Harry Potter' By J.K Rowling 

Need I say more?