6 Captivating Books To Finish Out 2018

As we near the end of 2018, we can now reflect on the disasters or successes that have occurred in the months prior. The Christmas holiday season not only offers lots of time to spend with beloved friends and family but if you're out of school like me, you can also have a lot of time to enjoy by yourself! What better way to spend that time than to indulge in some books?

If you're not a huge fan of reading, this list can still apply to you if you're looking for an entertaining book to try out. A wide range of genres is included in this list, so you can find the right book to suit your interests. All of the books in this list contain fast plots, relatable and funny characters, and entertaining storylines that you will be proud to have finished by the end of 2018.

1. Want a fun contemporary? Read ๐˜š๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜‹๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ by Morgan Matson.

Instagram (@britneyreads -- my personal bookstagram)

Have the dreary temperatures of autumn and winter got you down? Do you wish it was summer again? If so, you'll enjoy this lighthearted, funny read. Morgan Matson is known for her page-turning plots and loveable characters, so this book is perfect if you want to sit back and relax. It is the perfect mix of humor, heart, and impactful themes of the value of family and friends and the reality of growing up.

Here's the synopsis, according to Google Books:

"Charlie's sister is getting married. Everyone is coming home--all her older siblings. It'll be just like it used to be. One last weekend together before her parents sell the house. Charlie doesn't want to think about college next year, or things changing--she just wants to make this a perfect weekend. What could go wrong? Well first, the wedding planner quits. Then the house alarm won't stop going off. Charlie's biggest crush shows up unannounced. There's a missing tuxedo, an unexpected dog, and a neighbor bent on destruction. Not to mention the event planner's assistant, who is surprising, distractingly cute. And that's before things get really crazy. In all the chaos, Charlie will learn more than she ever expected about the family she thought she knew by heart. And she'll realize that sometimes trying to keep everything like it was in the past means missing out on the future."

2. Want an interesting historical fiction? Read ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜•๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ.

Do you want to feel all of the feels this season? This is the perfect book for you. Kristin Hannah's ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜•๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ is a heart-wrenching story of two sisters in France during WWII and the struggles they face to survive the German occupation of their country. With an outstanding rating of 4.8/5 stars on Amazon, this is sure to be an unforgettable, beautiful novel.

Here's the synopsis, according to Amazon:

"๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜•๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years and experience, by ideas, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied, war-torn Franceโ€“a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women. It is a novel for everyone, a novel for a lifetime."

3. Want an entertaining thriller? Read ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ'๐˜ด ๐˜š๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต by Liane Moriarty.

Instagram (@bookish,bibliophagist)

This book will take you through so many twists and turns, and it is a book that you won't be able to put down. As the plot progresses, The Husband's Secret will only pull you in more, and complete with a plot twist at the end, this is one you'll definitely love. With the narrator's unique snappy, witty tone, it's one you'll definitely want to share with your friends.

Here's the synopsis, according to Barnes and Noble:

"At the heart of The Husband's Secret is a letter that's not meant to be readโ€ฆ
My darling Cecilia,
If you're reading this, then I've diedโ€ฆ
Imagine your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secretโ€”something with the potential to destroy not only the life you built together but the lives of others as well. And then imagine that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much aliveโ€ฆ
Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it allโ€”she's an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. But that letter is about to change everythingโ€”and not just for her. There are other women who barely know Ceciliaโ€”or each otherโ€”but they, too, are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband's secret."

4. Do you want a lovely Christmas romance? Read ๐˜“๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜š๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle.

Instagram (@saain.reads)

This hilarious rom-com style love story is unique in that the book consists of three different love stories that all connect and take place in the same small town in North Carolina on Christmas Eve. Yep, three stories in one! The more the merrier! This is such an underrated read, and it puts such a cool twist on the classic holiday love story.

Here's the synopsis, according to Kirkus Reviews:

"Three top authors of teen fiction join forces for a collection of linked novellas set in the same small town in North Carolina on Christmas Eve. During the worst blizzard in 50 years, a packed train gets stuck in the snow, and teens from the train interact with teens from the town in ways both hilarious and romantic. In Johnson's "The Jubilee Express," a 16-year-old passenger named Jubilee meets Stuart, who takes her home to his family and convinces her that she needs a better boyfriend than the one she left at home. Green's offering is "A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle," narrated by Tobin, who struggles with his buddies through the snow so they can meet 14 stranded cheerleaders. Myracle contributes "The Patron Saint of Pigs," about a local girl named Addie who has just broken up with her boyfriend. The conclusion ties up the plot strands from all three stories, with all the main characters enjoying coffee at Starbucks on Christmas night. Contemporary culture, humorous romantic developments and strong characters enhance this collaborative effort."

5. Do you want a timeless classic? Readย ๐˜—๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜—๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฆ by Jane Austen.

If you just want to cozy up next to the fire with a cup of hot cocoa, you can't go wrong with this classic book. It has been one of the most universally admired English books for centuries, and it faced immediate success even when it was published in 1813. It charts the development of main character Elizabeth Bennet, who learns the error in being quick to judge and begins to distinguish the difference between the superficial and essential things in life.

Here's the synopsis, according to Wikipedia:

"Mr. Bennet of the Longbourn estate has five daughters, but his property is entailed, meaning that none of the girls can inherit it. His wife has no fortune, so it is imperative that at least one of the girls marry well in order to support the others upon his death. Jane Austen's opening line, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife", is a sentence filled with irony and playfulness. The novel revolves around the importance of marrying for love, not simply for money, despite the social pressures to make a good (i.e., wealthy) match."

6.ย Do you want an action-packed fantasy? Readย ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜Ž๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด by Sarah J. Maas.

This book will truly keep you on the edge of your seat. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜Ž๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด follows the journey of a teenage assassin named Celaena Sardothien as she fights to win her freedom from endless torture and slavery. This is the first of six novels in the ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜Ž๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด series, so if you find yourself wanting more from the sassy Celaena Sardothien, there's more to read!

Here's the synopsis, according to Bloomsbury Publishing:

"In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.
The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world."

With six books of six different genres to choose from, there's a lot to add to your reading list before 2019 begins!