13 Pieces of Advice You Might Need to Hear

13 Pieces Of Advice That Everyone Should Hear

Remember kids, if someone is giving you advice and it rhymes, run.

981
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkLuZ7bnbmK/?hl=en&tagged=bobgoff

It's no secret that college kids don't make the best decisions. We all need a little guidance in life from time to time, but it seems as though college students need it the most. So, I decided to make a list of advice that I personally have received in my life and I think it will help others as well.

1. If they cheat, leave them 

I've been told throughout my entire life (yes, even when I was a kid) that if my significant other cheats on me, then I should leave them. This is because a person who cheats on their significant other truly never held enough love or respect for their S/O to remain loyal. Not only that, but the Bible gives this advice as well multiple times and, as a Christian, that's a pretty big deal to me.

2. Being a legal adult doesn't mean you have all of the answers 

Life is something that everybody tries to figure out for themselves, and it's a constant learning process. As kids, we think that adults know everything and have every answer to every question imaginable, but that's simply not true. Believe it or not, most people are just out here winging it. Just like us. In life, we encounter a lot of firsts, but what we learn from these experiences is what defines us. However, this is not an excuse to be blissfully ignorant. It just means that it's okay to not have all the answers and to ask questions when you need some.

3. Don't judge a book by it's cover 

This one is pretty typical and everyone has probably heard it, but it's actually solid advice. Whatever someone looks like on the outside doesn't define who they are on the inside. Stop being judgmental and just be open with others. In fact, if you want to see how well you're doing with your own life, you should probably evaluate how you treat those you disagree with. Which brings me to my next point...

4. Put yourself in their shoes 

When it comes to people you disagree with, rudeness is not the answer. Don't judge their way of thinking and criticize them harshly, instead, try to put yourself into their head and see things from their perspective. Instead of thinking, "Their opinion is stupid," try thinking, "I wonder why they think like that."

5. You can't please everyone 

You were not created to please everyone. You are not just someone's "form of entertainment." You are you. And that is the best version of you there can possibly be. So, who cares what others think? Do what fulfills you.

6. Don't forget your inner 10-year-old 

As we grow up and things change, don't lose that inner childlike curiosity for the world you once had. Maintain curiosity for everything possible the same way a child would ("Why does this person think like that?" or "What do I believe in?"). This curiosity allows you to never stop learning. However, don't let the ten-year-old take over who you are now and make you childish.

7. In order to get somewhere, you must leave where you are 

This one may seem kind of like a "duh" piece of advice, but think about it on a deeper level. You must walk away from wherever you are in life in order to get to where you want to be. You can't stay in the same place and the same situation forever. Even if you're comfortable with where you are at in life, that could hinder your growth and prevent you from reaching your true potential. Strive for an adventure of some sort (and that doesn't mean that you necessarily have to travel a lot, but instead just reach out of your comfort zone). If it helps, picture who you want to be ten years from now. Let that person be your coach.

8. Honesty is the best policy 

Not only was I taught this growing up, but I also learned it from firsthand experience. The truth always finds a way to come out and ruin whatever lie you may have told. It's best to just be honest from the get-go and accept whatever responsibility lies within the truth.

9. Take risks 

This doesn't mean you should take the risk of jumping off of a building or fulfilling a lifelong dream of wrestling an alligator, but rather leave your comfort zone. Almost as if I'm restating point 7, but this applies to pretty much everything. Often enough, some of the best things we will ever do in our lives involve taking some sort of risk.

10. Be careful what advice you take 

This is pretty ironic coming from an advice column, huh? Remember kids, if someone is giving you advice and it rhymes, run. Also, just because someone gives you advice that sounds philosophical and true, doesn't actually make it true. It could be false due to contextual reasons, or it's just a straight up bad piece of advice. Look into every piece of advice you get (including everything in this article) and take everything with a grain of salt. Don't go off giving advice to others unless you are also willing to follow your own advice. Besides, the best advice is advice that tells you who you are and is tailored to you (another irony coming from an advice column).

11. Don't be a hypocrite 

Line up your words and your actions. As stated before, don't give out advice unless you yourself live your life by the same advice. The same thing goes for anything you say, really.

12. Wear your heart on your sleeve 

Everybody in this generation finds hardships in love and therefore refuse to be vulnerable. Embrace vulnerability. Yeah, heartbreaks and heartaches suck but, in each broken heart, there is not only a lesson but an experience. Let those experiences shape you, but don't let them wreck you. Let others know how you're feeling on more than just a, "I like-like you" or a, "I'm doing well, thanks for asking," basis. Tell people how you're feeling and what you're feeling.

13. Most importantly, love others 

Whether you're religious or not, this is still a good piece of advice.

For all of my fellow Christians: Matthew 22:37-39, "Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

For all of my non-religious or non-Christian readers: loving each other is still important. Love each other to be kind, to understand each other, and to bring peace to the world and within ourselves. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to walk around yelling, "I love you!" to everyone you see out on the street. Instead, treat others how you would like to be treated (hopefully with kindness, respect, and understanding).

I hope this advice helps you as it has helped me. I find comfort and solace in knowing it (being religious helps, though), and isn't comfort sort of a major thing we crave in life? Well, look no further, for if you follow this advice you will find some sort of peace in your life.