Being in a sorority is more than Instagram photos.

There Are More Reasons To Join A Sorority Than Just For Recruitment Photos

Yes, you make lifelong friendships, but sorority life is so much more.

98

When I started college a few years ago, it wasn't a question whether or not I would go through sorority recruitment. Both of my parents were involved in Greek Life when they went to school, and even though they never advocated I join, I enjoyed their stories about college so much that it just made sense for me to join a sorority. I was going to the largest school in the country where I didn't know anyone. I loved service and knew volunteerism is a significant element of Greek Life, so it just made sense.

Since joining my sorority my freshman year of college, I have gotten all those things and so much more. I chaired my sororities philanthropy two years in a row and met some of my best friends through the organization, making a school of 65,000 students feel a bit smaller. However, there are so many other reasons women join sororities besides the reasons listed above.

1. The network and connections.

https://unsplash.com/photos/CabUqKlvKX0

This stereotype that sorority girls are dumb would quickly be proven wrong if you met my sisters. One of the women in my sorority has a job lined up once she graduates college working in statistics. She was even able to help another sister who is a stats major get an internship for this upcoming summer. Joining a sorority can give you a network of people who can help you in one way or another.

2. Self growth, confidence and purpose.

https://unsplash.com/photos/yetzdGACLAY

When I asked my sisters to list what they gained from joining a sorority, I was incredibly happy when I saw this listed in the comments. Sororities often have a negative reputation of being filled with catty girls. This could not be further from the truth. Women are supposed to support one another and encourage each other to be the best possible version of themselves.

3. A constant support system and community.

https://unsplash.com/photos/fv4aJOCulfU

Although Orlando isn't too far away from Miami, it is hard to go away to school. Joining a sorority provided a community of women I could turn to whenever things are challenging. When you're in college, it is natural that there will be challenging times, but the great thing about sorority life is that there is a group of wonderful women who you can count on for guidance and support.

I do not just mean your Big, Little or Fam. I could honestly say that if I am having a bad day and I walk into my sorority house, I could talk to any one of my sisters and feel better.

4. Leadership opportunities.

https://unsplash.com/photos/nMffL1zjbw4

There are so many ways to get involved around campus, and it can be a little overwhelming. At UCF, there is SGA, Greek Council, clubs and they separate leadership opportunities within those organizations. Where do you even start?

Since joining my sorority, I got involved even more with volunteer opportunities that I would never have done before. Although I tend to limit the leadership roles I apply for, the options are endless. One of my sisters was just elected SGA Vice President. These opportunities are a great way to add to your resume, and a lot would not even be possible without Greek Life.

We have all heard the stereotypes, "Sorority girls are entitled and have everything handed to them," "You pay for your friends," or "All sorority girls do is party."

These stereotypes might exist, and one article is not going to change the negative perception Greek Life has, but at least I can tell you that these comments couldn't be further from the truth. There are so many hard-working women in my sorority working to make the world a better place. They continuously push to make a difference on and off our college campus, and I know I would not be the woman I am today without them.