How To Fall In Love With Running

How To Fall In Love With Running

"Get off that game and go outside!"

462
How To Fall In Love With Running
flickr

At the start of summer 2017, I began to spend a lot of my time outside. I ran nearly every day, trying to improve myself and beat my previous time. This time last year, I couldn't run up the street and back without sweating bullets. The combined distance is a little over a mile. Fast forward to May 2018 and I run at least a mile each time! How did I achieve that?

Well, I follow a somewhat rigid routine. Before running I eat a healthy snack, usually an apple or two, and keep myself hydrated with water. If I'm trying to burn more calories then I eat a spoon of peanut butter or nothing at all. After some light stretching I either walk or jog up the street. Not much time passes before I'm tuned into my music and sprinting my ass off! Initially, I only ran to the stop sign and back, but one day I ran across the street and into the forest.

I couldn't place my finger on it then, but simply being in the forest was a tranquil experience. I can't get enough of it now that I run regularly! I feel at ease, I feel refreshed, and I feel further energized! I usually return home an hour or two later, feeling sweaty and exhausted. If I don't do sit-ups or push-ups to wind down, I go inside for a shower.

This is where the real fun begins! I usually don't take regular showers; I usually take cold showers. It sounds seemingly unpleasant (because it is... at first) but cold showers offer a wide array of health benefits! They improve blood circulation, they provide you with an energy boost in the morning, a better night's rest is possible after taking one, you get more oxygen ( because of the hyperventilating, of course), and they reduce recovery time after intense workouts, among other things.

It's nearly June which means a lot of you aren't stuck inside somewhere, listening to some teacher run their mouth (see what I did there?). Instead of staying indoors all summer, might I suggest jogging to the end of your street and back home? Just one time? Soon you'll become addicted to that satisfying adrenaline rush and the feel of the breeze on your face.