The best part about being in a relationship is the time you get to spend together. So what happens when distance gets in the way of that?

Over the past year and a half, I have maintained a long distance relationship with my best friend. The catch is that unlike most long distance couples who usually share the same nationality, my boyfriend and I are 4,000 miles apart. He’s from Chile and I live in the U.S.

As crazy as that sounds, it’s actually not that resemblant of a Lifetime movie. My maternal family is Chilean and on one of my many visits and outings with my college aged cousins, we met. My one-month trip was spontaneously extended into a four month stay and after returning back home, he visited me four months later. We have been together ever since.

While my story may bore some people to tears, I think it’s a great way of proving that love does conquer all — as cheesy as that sounds.

People have this misconception about relationships and intimacy. Love has its own language. I see it as a powerful feeling beyond anything imaginable that can span centuries and continents.

While there aren’t many reasons why anyone would purposefully seek out a long distance relationship, there are a couple of reasons why you might be glad you committed to one.

1. You appreciate the visits so much more.
  2. Doing average things like grocery shopping together becomes a full on adventure.
  3. Sending hand written notes becomes a thing.
  4. You notice just about everything that reminds you of your person.
  5. You appreciate calls more than texts.
  6. You learn to listen and are on another level of communication skills.
  7. Planning your time together is a precious hobby between you two.
  8. The trust in the relationship becomes unreal.
  9. You become an expert in executing surprises for them.
  10. You know the love is real.