Benefits of Having a Primary Care Physician

A primary care physician plays an important role in a person's health, just as a homeroom teacher serves as an anchor for students at school.

35

The primary care physician is a specialist in family medicine, internal medicine, or pediatrics who serves as the patient's first point of contact. Research has shown that those who live in states with more primary care physicians have better health outcomes, including fewer deaths from cancer, heart disease, or stroke.

Our

medical center in Sharjah offer patients a comprehensive range of care at a five-star level. Whether check-up and diagnostics, nutrition and training, dermatology and beauty, exercise and sports medicine, dentistry or rehabilitation. Here you will be looked after by a highly specialized team of doctors and therapists in all situations.

The benefits of having a primary care physician include:

1. Continuity of care. When a doctor is a primary care physician, he or she "has the responsibility to provide comprehensive patient care," according to the American Academy of Family Physicians. Routine checkups with the same doctor form a beneficial relationship for the patient. Over time, the primary care physician develops a complete picture of the patient's health which helps to diagnose diseases with more certainty. A primary care physician also collaborates with other physicians and health professionals to be aware of any type of specialized care the patient receives.

2. Medication management. About 35 percent of Americans take at least one prescription drug. Among those who use prescription drugs, the average number is four drugs, according to a study by Consumer Reports. Because different drugs are often prescribed by different doctors, there is always the potential for side effects to occur when drugs interact with each other. A primary care physician serves as a sentinel, tracking all medications the patient takes, noting any dosage or frequency changes that may cause negative effects. Many electronic medical record systems used in doctor's offices these days automatically indicate drug contraindications, urging the physician to review with the patient any side effects the patient may be experiencing. The primary care physician may then recommend changes to medications or consult with prescribing physicians to better manage the patient's medication regimen.

3. Time-saving. When a patient has established a relationship with a primary care physician, any issues that may arise between annual checkups can be quickly addressed. "Although it depends on the type of symptoms and how severe they may be, many times I can manage a patient's condition over the phone," says Dr. Franco. "The better I know the patient's medical history, the more effective I can be in deciding the best mode of treatment. The patient always appreciates the time savings that this can create".

4. Prevention. The more a doctor is aware of your overall health, the better they can identify or even predict health problems. Having your general health profile allows your primary care physician to recommend tests that can determine your risk for developing certain diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. If you are at high risk, your primary care physician may recommend lifestyle changes that you can make to help reduce that risk and to prevent disease.

5. Behavioral health. Comprehensive health care under the primary care physician approach also includes monitoring the health of the patient's behavior. The current recommendation is to screen adults and children 12 years and older for depression at their primary care visits. Every time a patient visits their primary care physician's office at Baptist Health, they will be asked if they are feeling depressed or anxious.