11 Upsides To Being A Commuter Student

11 Upsides To Being A Commuter Student

There's more bonuses than just saving money!

110
11 Upsides To Being A Commuter Student

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote an article about the struggles my fellow commuter students and I face on a regular basis. But there's quite a few upsides to being a commuter, as well!

1. What printing fees?

You never have to spend money on printing because you have a printer at home. Gotta save those extra cents for gas money! (Cue fake laugh.)

2. Your life isn't entirely based on school

Living on-campus, your whole life pretty much revolves around the campus. But when you're a commuter, you're not restricted by the campus limits in terms of things to do. Not living on campus means having that extra freedom to live your own life that isn't tainted in some way by the campus shadow that hangs over on-campus people.

3. You get a break from school

You're not physically at school for 24 hours a day for 9 months straight!! How great is that?

4. PRIVACY

I lived in a dorm for one year, and the biggest thing I missed was having personal space and privacy. You don't realize just how wonderful privacy can be until you've shared a room with someone you don't totally know and have to change in front of them, be watched while you laze around after a shower, and be seen in all your messiest states. Having friends over when you have a roommate can also be weird -- like, who leaves? Does someone even have to leave if the room belongs to both of you? Not a problem when you have your own space!

5. Your bed is exactly as you like it

Dorm beds come one-size-fits-all. There's no variation in mattress type, size, etc. But your home bed -- it's exactly as hard or soft as you like it with all the space you need!

6. Your food always tastes good

There's no dining hall food in your life, so everything actually tastes good. (Not that dining hall food totally sucks, but it isn't the same as a home-cooked meal.)

7. It's easier to eat better

Note I said "it's easier," not that you actually eat better. I'd be lying if I insinuated that being a commuter means you automatically eat better...because it's definitely untrue.

8. The obvious "it's cheaper than living on campus"

Living at home (or renting an apartment) can be MUCH cheaper than living in the dorms.

9. You can have a pet

Living on-campus means leaving your furry friend at home. NOT a problem for commuters! You get to be around your favorite fluffer as much as you want.

10. Two words: Personal bathroom

No communal bathroom disgustingness for you!

11. Dance parties whenever you want

You can have a midnight dance party and no one will judge.