Ben and Lauren: Is It Really Happily Ever After?

A recap and review of the Bachelor spinoff series

23
google images

"The Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" franchises are huge parts of the reality TV world we know today. As (embarrassingly) being part of #bachelornation, I find these shows to be extremely entertaining and, at times, ridiculous. Freeform just premiered "Ben and Lauren: Happily Ever After?" October 11th, 2016. It's a "Bachelor" spinoff of the recently engaged bachelor couple Ben Higgins and Lauren Bushnell. For #bachelornation, we've all been waiting for this moment since they sneak previewed the reality show. Having watched the premiere, I am going to give my honest recap and review of the couples spinoff series.

As most of #bachelornation, I was anticipating the show's premiere. This is the first time something like this has happened in the "Bachelor" franchise.

The show starts off with how Ben and Lauren met in the strangest of ways: him asking her father's permission to marry her, and then getting down on one knee in Jamaica to give her a $90,000 engagement ring. So cute, right? Then, the show takes a negative turn when Lauren and Ben are about to walk out to Jojo's AFR (after the final rose) and Lauren "I'm fines" Ben saying, "this just isn't my idea of fun". Yikes. For those of you who watched Ben's season of The Bachelor, you know that he told both Lauren AND Jojo that he was in love with them, a big no-no on the show. Lauren is obviously still insecure about Jojo and Ben and worries that Ben will regain feelings for Jojo when he sees her again. We then get a flashback of one month earlier to when Ben and Lauren were happy as clams grocery shopping together. It's all fun and games until the one who shall not be named (Jojo) is brought up. (No, these innocent bystanders were not placed by ABC on the show to ask them awkward questions.)

Ben and Lauren then decide to binge-watch Jojo's journey to find love on The Bachelorette. Big mistake. Ben is brought up numerous times by Jojo; how he hurt her and how she was so in love with him, which makes Lauren super uncomfortable and she even goes as far as saying "For someone who's supposedly moved on, Jojo talks a lot about Ben." So much shade has been thrown! This topic clearly makes Lauren cringe and extremely bitter.

Lauren then goes on a date with the infamous twins, Emily and Haley Ferguson, who also dated Ben, and the three change a toilet in Lauren and Ben's Denver home. I know, this is really exciting stuff.

Back to the drama. Lauren and Ben are on a cute date at a Mexican restaurant when Jojo calls Ben. She calls him Benjamin, which I'm sure pisses off Lauren and proceeds to ask them to go on a double date with her and her (at the time) unknown suitor, who we later learn is Jordan Rodgers, Jojo's fiance. He says "yes" without asking Lauren, and that did not fly with her. A mariachi band starts playing loudly when Ben is explaining it will be okay and he's sorry he didn't ask her.

At this point in the show, I asked myself, "what am I watching? This couple does not seem happy at all." And frankly, the producers, or Lauren herself, made her look like a total brat.

It gets better! Now the couple is in LA for AFR. Lauren is getting her makeup done, saying how she just wants to get the night over with. She tells Ben literally right before they are about to walk to their seats that she "didn't have a choice" to be there. They both look agitated, then suddenly like a happy couple again, smiling and holding hands as they walk to their seats.

Ben gives advice to Jojo and Jordan about their new relationship off of The Bachelorette while Lauren is sitting next to him not saying a word. He then asks Lauren if his response was good and she responds with a "yeah". This didn't sit well with Ben. He wanted a much more enthusiastic response than "yeah".

The next scene shows them heading to lunch to meet with Jordan and Jojo, and the car ride is quite silent. "This is supposed to be a new chapter of my life with Ben. Not Ben, Lauren and Jojo." We won't be able to see how lunch unfolds until next week! Oh, the anticipation!

Now, I couldn't say I was expecting a lot out of this new series. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It made me dislike them as a couple. Lauren treats Ben like a five year old and he takes it! Will I continue watching? Probably. I am a sucker for anything Bachelor/Bachelorette.

Freeform then gives us a sneak preview of the rest of the season, showing happy and not-so-happy times the couple share. They even may call off the wedding, a classic ABC stint to pull just so we will keep watching. Oh, and Ben's allergic to coconut and is upset Lauren doesn't know this. Can't wait to see what other ridiculous things are stirred up!