'The Bachelor' Star Ben Higgins Helps Launch Generous Coffee

Former 'Bachelor' Contestant and President of 'Humanity of Hope' Are Brewing World Peace One Coffee Bean At A Time

It doesn't take monumental action to help change the world.

2982

A couple of weeks ago, I was given the opportunity to sit in on an interview with Ben Higgins from "The Bachelor" and his friend Riley Fuller, President of Humanity and Hope, as they spoke about growing business, Generous Coffee. I was tremendously honored when I was given the chance to delve deeper into the new business that Ben has been working on with one of his best friends, but I was completely unaware of the depths of Generous Coffee's impact.

Now, there are few things I love more in this world than coffee or "The Bachelor." I feel as though it's my duty as an American to subscribe to both guilty pleasures.

In my freshman year of college, I wrote my 10-page final analysis essay on the impacts different seasons of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" has on human development. Yeah, that's right— a reality TV show can be a learning experience. I even wrote an article on why I should be on the next season of "The Bachelor."

You could say I'm invested.

But anyway, back to them. Ben admits the show allowed him to step away and volunteer time for Generous. The show provided a platform for this former Bachelor to make a difference. And here I thought the show was just produced for my own entertainment.

Ben spoke not as a former "Bachelor" contestant but as an advocate for change. On the surface, Generous Coffee seemed pretty simple enough. Go to the website, buy a bag of coffee, call it a day. But that's only half the story.

Commonly, being generous means to show a readiness to give more of something, as money or time, than is strictly necessary or expected. Ben and Riley are not just promoting Generous to put the money made back in their pockets. Instead, the money goes to different charitable causes like Riley's to help make a difference in the lives of others.

Ben captured the meaning of Generous best when he said, "Generous exists to be generous."

Ben and Riley started it as a way to fight injustice in the world and be a voice for the voiceless people. There is so much injustice in the world that they wanted to be part of the solution, whatever that may be. They were both blessed by life circumstances and their desire to make their dream into a reality.

But guess what? So are we.

Growing up, I had helped in my youth group and different organizations within the community. In college, I found an organization that sponsored girls in Uganda and Nepal to get an education. Because I was fortunate enough to be going to higher education, I used that ability to raise awareness and money for these young girls who weren't even allowed to go to primary school because of their gender.

I was curious to hear what the two guys' had to say about their perspective on the "ideal world" that we all want to live in, and Riley took the bait first to answer the loaded question. "Every single person on this Earth is here on purpose for a purpose and that everyone should be treated with dignity, honor, respect, and most importantly love and that we should truly fight for each other on a daily basis," he said.

I know I, for one, would love to live in a world that looks like that.

Ben takes a more faith-based answer. "The world I want to live in is a world where no one feels alone," he said.

We are all blessed with certain abilities. And I'm not necessarily talking about some God-given gift of seeing into the future. I just mean that maybe we were placed in positions of certain advantages so that we may help others.

We are lucky.

But we are not wise if we do not, to the best of our ability, do something with it.

As a young adult in the world today, it's easy to forget how much power we have. And it's easy to feel alone. Ben's hope for Generous is radical unity and making sure that no one ever has to feel alone. We can fight for each other on a daily basis and be a community of people that help one another. We are not alone.

It doesn't take a monumental action to help change the world.

So have they done it? Have they tried to make this crazy world that we live a bit of a better place?

My answer is yes, but don't just take my word for it —take Riley's.

In Honduras, Generous has had a major impact on the entire community. Generous Coffee has helped provide five full-time jobs for women, increased economic development, and aided in funding education.

Generous also has been a positive influence on the community of La Cuchilla, according to Riley. He also mentioned that a year ago, 10% of the kids were going to primary school, grades 1-6, and none of them were going to secondary school. Generous was able to partner with Humanity and Hope and now all of the kids are going to elementary school and about 60% are going to secondary school.

Talk about change. Twelve months ago this village was called "the abandoned hole" and now people from neighboring villages are coming to try to find jobs and opportunities to get involved in. As Riley put it, "they are working with people to give them more opportunities that wouldn't have otherwise."

When giving advice to other influencers, Ben said to "just do it, find your passion. Find what makes your heart hurt, your head spin, gives you a burning desire, and just go for it."

Riley said that "success comes from doing small things and doing good things over and over again. Don't be afraid to fail, there is no passion to find in playing small."

So, buy a bag of Generous Coffee or as Riley said, "drink it, post about it." Go on a Humanity and Hope trip to see the way other people live. Help someone in your own community.

Be a part of the solution. Fight for one another. Be generous.