5 Things That Happen When You Are The Youngest Sibling

Being the youngest siblings has its pros and cons, but I wouldn't trade it for anything

10803
https://pixabay.com/photos/brothers-family-siblings-boys-love-457237/

Growing up in a family with a sister seven years older than me, I often get treated like the baby of the family. My sister and I are extremely close, but there have been plenty of times where I wished I was the older sister. I always envied the freedom she had and the trust my parents placed on her, and felt jealous when she got "special treatment." However, I can't deny I enjoyed the times where I got away with things she didn't and got out of chores and tasks because I was the little one. Here are five things you know to be true if you're the youngest one in your family.

1. You get treated like a baby 

Even though I'm in college and fully capable of taking care of myself, being the youngest in my family means my parents and sister often forget that I'm not 12 and don't need them to be a part of every aspect of my life.

2. Your parents and sibling(s) are overprotective 

My sister and my parents are the most overprotective people I know. They always want to know what I'm doing and if I'm "okay," and tend to freak out if I don't answer the phone when I'm out with my friends. They don't care that I go to parties or act like a college student, but they always want me to keep them updated.

3. You get away with more things than your older sibling(s)

Even though I get treated like a baby and my family is overprotective, there have definitely been times where I have gotten away with things my sister wouldn't. I think older siblings have more pressure to be responsible role models, so being the younger sibling means you can let loose a little more.

4. You have a built in friendship with your sibling(s)

Having an older sibling means you have never gone a day without having a friend (or frienemy) in your life. Even though I fight with her constantly, I'm so thankful to have a sister I can talk to about anything.

5. You're the favorite child

Ok, my parents have never told me I'm the favorite, but I know it's true. Being younger means I didn't repeat the same mistakes my sister did, and I think my parents are grateful that I was an "easier" teenager.