Being the Oldest Sibling

Being the Oldest Sibling

Being born first may have some disadvantages after all.

52
Being the Oldest Sibling
Briana VonderLinden

Being born first seems pretty cool, right? Well, that isn't always the case. Now, I'm not saying that being the oldest is the most terrible thing in the world, because it's not. It's actually awesome. I mean think about it you are the king/queen out of your siblings. Anything you do or say, they will listen to. The negative side towards being the oldest is also just that. The younger ones look up to you, so anything you do could be held against you. So here are somethings that the eldest child can relate too..

1. Younger siblings look up to you.

I'm not saying this is bad, but it has a bad side to it. Being the oldest myself, I set an example for all my siblings. So, if I do something wrong and they look up to me, then they might take my actions on for their own. Everything the oldest does reflects on what the youngest is going to do, so you have to be cautious at all times. This is a good thing, though, because if you do good in anything and everything, then the younger ones do good in anything and everything, which makes you feel good about yourself.

2. Needing to mature quicker than usual.

With being the oldest comes responsibilities, and sometimes those responsibilities come faster than most. Since you are the oldest, your parents want much more from you. So, stepping up your game at the age of 15 isn't such a surprise. Getting your first job so you can start supporting yourself and saving up for college, sometimes helping out with the younger ones in the house, you start to mature much quicker than your younger siblings would at your age. It is also good for you in the long run, though.

3. You might be the test child.

You are the "experiment" child. Any rule your parents have for you might not be the same for the younger ones when they become your age. Now, your parents might not believe it, but it is true. The younger siblings can change the rules in an instance, but if you tried that it was a "No, the rules are the rules."

4. Any electronics you got, they got sooner.

When I was in fifth grade I was handed my first cell phone. You know what that meant? It meant that my sister got a phone as well, she was in the third grade. Even though we were both left at home alone, and that was the reason we both got a phone, she still got one at a younger age than me. It has happened all my life, I got an iPod touch, that same year my sister would as well. Being the oldest meant that whatever you had, the youngest got as well.

5. You are their protector.

At the end of it all though, you need to look after them and make sure they do better than you did. You make sure they don't get hurt, and they have someone to go to during rough times, since you didn't really have that. Even though they can get away with anything, it is your job to be the bigger person and teach them the ropes.

When you think about it being the oldest isn't so bad after all. They get all your hand-me-downs. So, anything you get is usually new. And you are able to do older kid things before them. In reality, being the oldest can be sweet.