Being A Legacy To A Different Organization

It's ending up where never knew you truly belonged

10
Katherine Holzapfel

I was one of the few people who knew what Greek life was before I came to college. Not like how they were portrayed in House Bunny or Neighbors, but what Greek life is truly about. I knew how to describe letters to my mom and have her tell what organization they belonged to. I knew about Divine 9 and Multicultural organizations well before getting on campus. I was able to learn and understand all of this because my mom was Greek in college. I grew up think that I was going to join the same organization as her, however, my campus does not have her organization and I was unable to have the chance to go through recruitment for her organization.

I thought that I was going to be able to share this bond with my mother that I do with so many other women from across the world. The way that my mother would talk about her experience in her organization and her sisters made me excited to go out for recruitment. When looking at schools, I didn't think about looking at what organizations were on campus so I didn't know what chapters were on my campus before hand.

Once I found out that my mom's organization was not on campus I was a tad bit disappointed and was a little unsure if I wanted to go out for recruitment. My mind was changed when I met some of the girls from all of the chapters on my campus, and soon found my home in one. Although, a part of me will always have a special place in my heart for the organization that I’m a legacy for. When I was younger, my mom's letters were the only ones I truly knew. When I would see things, like their symbol, colors, flower; I would get excited. I knew that it was not just some rose, but a specific one. Even to this day, I will correct people when they talk about her organization because I hold it close to my heart.

Although, when I see other girls with her letters on, I get this slight pang of jealousy. They got the chance to be a part of the organization that I have always wanted to be a part of. These girls get to be a part of something that I could only wish for. They have this bond, this sisterhood, these letters that are important to me. They get to experience the same ritual as my mom, and I did not.

Now, I do truly love my organization and everything that we stand for, but to someone who is not a legacy: It’s like not getting a bid to your first choice, but still loving where you ended up. I’m also not saying that I would rather be in the organization I’m a legacy for, it’s just weird to see yourself going somewhere, and ending up where you never knew you truly belonged.