Being Extra Is Okay

To All The Basic People Out There, Being 'Extra' Is Okay, Too

You'll turn out ordinary if you're not careful.

56
Girl

There probably isn't a day where I don't hear, "Why are you so extra?" or "You're too much." Yes, it may get tiring always hearing those questions about being extra or doing too much, but in a way, it reminds me that I am unique. It reminds me that I'm happy and love living life to its fullest. It's okay to be you and show your brightest colors to people.

From my earliest moments, I can recall myself being extra and being a drama queen. From the beginning, I have always wanted to play dress up and put on a show for my family thinking that I was a pop star. From time to time, I find myself enjoying being the center of attention sometimes or ordering things at restaurants with extra things on them. Moments like those show that I am not an ordinary person and I simply like having things the way I want them.

If you're like me, then you probably find yourself overreacting to things sometimes, complaining in the craziest ways, and being petty from time to time. But that makes us who we are. They're almost habits.

Here are five memes that you will relate to if you're extra, too.

1. You don't mind being the center of attention

Whether you put yourself there or not, you end up being the center of the attention. You end up having the spotlight on you. The extra part is that you don't mind it, either. When you're having a conversation with a group of friends, you end up talking the most or telling stories, but that also just means that you're a chatty and interesting person. Let the spotlight shine.

2. Being petty comes naturally to you

You try your hardest not to be petty when a difficult situation appears, but you just can't help it. You end up posting subs or making jokes about the situation because in a way, sometimes you exaggerate things.

3. When a song comes on and you end up singing ALL the parts

Your favorite song comes on and you get excited so you immediately start singing along. BUT you also start singing basically every part of the song, as well. You sing the harmony, the melody, and all of the backup parts. Basically, you turn into a pop star and sing the whole song by yourself, but that's just because of how extra you are.

4. You don’t mind when you order something different than everybody else

You go to a diner and everyone gets a hamburger and fries, but you end up getting a panini or pasta AND a milkshake. Everytime that I go out with my friends, I am usually the one to order something completely different, and my drinks are usually never just water or soda. It ends up being a fancy drink like a milkshake or pina colada. If you're extra like me, then you also order something different and probably with extra cheese or extra dressing. You just like to eat what you're in the mood for and that's fine.

5. You dance anytime you hear music

"Why are you dancing?" I always hear this because honestly I am always dancing or humming. There's almost always a song playing in my head. Dancing like no one is watching is a phrase I try to live by because dancing is a form of self-expression. Dancing anytime you hear music is okay and it shows that you like performing. It shows that inside you don't mind being on stage or being in the spotlight. So dance your heart out next time someone asks why you're dancing.

So next time somebody tells you to stop or tells you that "you're too much," don't pay them any mind. As the song "This Is Me" says "I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I'm meant to be, this is me. Look out cause here I come and I'm marching on to the beat I drum. I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies, this is me."

Listen to these words and remember that nobody can bring you or your mood down. Don't let them rain on your parade. Being extra is okay. I mean, then again, who wants to be basic in a world of 7.4 billion people when you can stand out and be a little extra?