Being Brown

Being Brown

"Labels are for Clothing. Labels are not for people" ~Martina Navratilova

193
Being Brown
google

Growing up in the United States as a South Asian community has been an exciting task. I have faced numerous stereotypes because of my heritage. Hailing from an immigrant background which originates from India has pushed many implications on what I should be.

Here are some stereotypes from that I have heard as a kid and young adult in New York City.

1. “Do you speak Indian?”

No. I don’t speak Indian. Indian is the nationality not the language of India. There are 22 national languages in India, some of which include Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Nepali, Sanskrit, Punjabi and many more.

2. You only eat curry

As a kid, many may get to hear from non-South Asian individuals are assumed just to eat Curry. No. Sorry. Indian food is much more than “Curry.” There is such a full ray of dishes and sweets that Indians eat on a day to day basis. Most can ensure that you will never get bored with the food choices in the Indian cuisine.

3. You are good at math and science

Maybe this may be true. Many South Asian kids may be pushed to be good at math and science. But many aren’t. As a South Asian kid, I always found myself struggling with math and science. I was still good at History. So, this stereotype is flawed in its course.

4. You only become Doctors, engineers or lawyers

No. Like the math and science, this is also flawed. Many pursue careers in entertainment, writing, education, and in art. As an individual who is pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice, I am also seeking a Degree in English and minoring in Journalism. I am doing so to pursue a career in Journalism.

5. Oh, you eat meat, aren’t you from India?

My parents are from India, and the religion followed in my household doesn’t directly stop me from eating meat. But I am not religious, and I may respect my parents’ wishes for not eating meat; therefore it isn’t cooked in my household.

So yes, I am from India and eat meat. However, I don’t eat certain meats like beef.

6. Where is your accent?

No, I don’t have an ideal Indian accent. Whatever Ideal may mean. I grew up in NYC. Therefore I have a strong NY accent when I speak English. However, I don’t have a New York Accent when I talk in Hindi which is my spoken language at home either.

Living in a diverse city like New York doesn’t mean that you are going to avoid specific cultural appropriations. Often people create these stereotypes because of a lack of knowledge or biases that may exist in the media. Despite the lack of knowledge, other reasons as to why stereotypes against South Asians exist some which include racism.