Rachel Harland On Being Brave And Unafraid In Missions

God's faithfulness will shine through when we give up our fears and give Him our lives.

21
Rachel Harland
Biography and Passions

Rachel is 19 years old and is a freshman at Corban University. She was born and raised in Roseburg, Oregon. She grew up in a Christian home and surrounded by a community of believers. She has been a part of her church since she was born and accepted Christ when she was 5 years old. Ever since then, Rachel has had a passion to serve in children's ministry and become a teacher. She is now pursuing a major in elementary education and two minors, one in biblical studies and another in intercultural studies.

Rachel has felt called and drawn to go overseas, and that passion grows stronger as each day passes. She would enjoy teaching in the United States, but she is open and joyful to see if God calls her to teach internationally.

Call to Missions

Rachel has been a part of a missions team to San Vicente, Mexico during the summers of the last two years, but she has always felt a strong desire to go on a mission to Africa since she was a little girl. When she started at Corban, she heard of an opportunity to go a trip to Africa to work with children. It seemed like the perfect chance for Rachel to live out the dream she had been looking forward to since she was 8 years old. As time passed, Rachel found out that she wouldn't be able to pursue this specific mission because the dates interfered with Corban's track schedule.

In her journal on October 18, Rachel wrote, "Dear God, I present my life to you. All is yours. Please lead me where you want me and make it clear. I feel called to Africa this summer. If it is your will, may it be done." Not long after that, Corban hosted 40 missionaries for World Outreach Week: an event that helps spark a passion in young people's hearts to serve God in missions.

Here is an entry of Rachel's from her personal blog:

"After class one day, I planned to eat lunch with one of my friends. She told me she was planning on eating with a missionary, but that I was welcomed to join. Gladly, I tagged along. A group of girls and I sat down to hear this bubbly missionary woman’s story. I was enthralled by her excitement...

She began telling the group of girls about the missionary organization she is involved with. Pointing to me, she says, 'Say you want to go to Africa and teach English, you can set up your own time to go and where you would like to go' How did she know?!!! She described my exact situation, and I knew immediately this was the path God wanted me to take. I told her right away YES!

The next day, I met up with her once again and learned more about this opportunity. I would be able to basically job shadow a missionary and work alongside in their ministry a part of the organization called WEC (Worldwide Evangelism for Christ). She explained that it is quite the process to be accepted into the program, but completely worth it. A week of training beforehand and a week of reflection training after would take place in Philadelphia. For two months of the summer, I would go wherever I am called and adventure life as God has planned. I was thrilled and curious to what the future would hold. She prayed for me and the process began."

Rachel really didn't have a clue where she would be placed, but she trusted that God would use her for His plan and that He would keep her in His hands no matter where she went to serve Him. Rachel finally got the calling to serve in rural South Africa. She will be there from May 22 to July 28. She says, "I am looking forward to the summer adventurously expectant to whatever God may have planned. There are so many unknowns and uncertainties, but one thing is for certain. God has a plan, and I am beyond excited to see how it unfolds."

Rachel's story is one of amazing faith and trust in God. Rachel is assured of God's goodness in whom He has called her to be. God has called Rachel to be brave. For the past year or so, God has been calling Rachel to step out in faith and to keep her eyes on His face. With God by her side, Rachel has nothing to fear. God's grace has given her confidence and hope in God's plan and how He will use her for His glory. Her reminder of God's faithfulness and who He has called her to be is found in Pslam 46.

"The Lord is my refuge and strength, an ever present help in troubled days. Therefore, I will not fear, though the Earth give way and the mountains fall into the depths of the sea. Though its waters roar and foam and mountains quake with their surging. He says Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in all the earth."

Rachel's Advice and Encouragement

"Missions don’t have to be overseas in Africa or impressive excursions. God’s heart for missions is to tell the world about His love and live that out wherever He has called you. If that is down the street or across the ocean, God’s heart for people is the same. So… how do you know where He is calling you? You will know. God speaks to people in unique ways through other believers, His word, doors opening, prayer with Him, the passions He has placed in your heart, and countless other ways. The entire road map is rarely mapped out for you to follow to the end destination. God knows it in every detail. We don’t. God directs each and every little step and that’s how we know. Rather than looking for where to go next, look to God. Intimacy with Him is powerful and crucial in walking in step with His leading.

Following God is exciting and quite the adventure. I pray that you become BRAVE in Christ and look to God for the next step in faith."