The Day I Became An Aunt

Becoming An Aunt Was One Of The Best Things To Happen In My Life

Being an awesome auntie is what I do best.

50

Last month, my family grew a little bigger with the addition of my sister's first child, my parents' first grandchild, and my first niece who effectively made me an aunt forever.

I was at work when she was born, but my managers let me have my phone with me in order to watch for updates in the whole birthing situation. Then finally, after what felt like forever, I received a text in the extended family group chat that changed my life forever: "we have a baby!" Not long after that, I received the very first picture of Natalie (or affectionately referred to as "Natters" among other adorable nicknames) and was in total awe.

I spent the rest of my work day gushing to my coworkers about all the details and shoving my phone towards anyone willing to look at pictures of her and give a polite "Aw, how cute!" I was so happy that I couldn't stop myself from walking around with a huge smile on my face.

When work was finally over for the day, I made my way to the hospital as quickly and as legally possible. I made my way to the maternity ward and felt a surge of love when I saw Natters' cute little face for the very first time.

After I had washed my hands, I sat down ready for baby-holding. After nine long months of waiting, here she was finally in my arms. Within a few minutes of looking at each other, I of course had tears of happiness running down my face as a result of how completely over the moon I was with this little bundle of joy I have the privilege to call my niece.

As I write this article, sweet little Natalie is almost three weeks old and I continue to love her more and more each day. I am so looking forward to being a part of her life. She's going to do amazing things; I just know it.