Beignet Fest? More Like Beig-not Fest!

Beignet Fest? More Like Beig-not Fest!

What's a girl gotta do for an Oreo beignet?

6
Beignet Fest? More Like Beig-not Fest!

Saturday, October 8th, 2016: a day that will forever be remembered in the hearts of the people of New Orleans as the day Beignet Fest began. But for me, this day symbolizes much more. Every year as I pass this day on my calendar, I will remember how cruel the world can truly be.

After all, Beignet Fest running out of beignets an hour before it was officially over is reason enough to shed a few tears. Usually, I reserve my sadness for Tears Tuesdays, but this was a special occasion.

This picture was taken before we were assaulted by the traumatic situation. Look how optimistic and carefree we were. But I suppose one day I must stop being so naive.

We ended up walking—for a whole extra half of a mile!—to get our beignets. While I sincerely thank Cafe Beignet in downtown NOLA for saving my life (seriously, go check 'em out, it was a pretty cute little place with a cat chilling under one of the benches), I was slightly disappointed by the day's lack of beignet fries and Oreo beignets, which everyone else on my Instagram feed boasted.

Here are my very plain, very sad beignets. Of course, they were delicious, but they did not fill the hole in my heart that only a special flavor of beignet could fill.

So, I would like to address this letter to the organizers of Beignet Fest:

Congrats, you obviously had a very successful fest and made a lot of money for the Tres Doux Foundation, but my three friends and I will boycott Beignet Fest next year. Unless you send me an Oreo beignet in the mail. Please contact me for my address.

P.S. My friends might go next year anyway. Maybe even earlier to ensure they will get beignets.

P.P.S. I still refuse to go. I will single-handedly boycott the Fest.

P.P.P.S. I really appreciate the foundation you're donating to. I can't find how to donate to it online because Beignet Fest is all that comes up when I google it, so I might go next year only to donate. I also expect to get a beignet in return for that donation. But it's still a boycott until you send me that oreo beignet.

I'm starting a hashtag to show my anger: #gotoBeignetFestonlytodonateandeatabeignetbuteatthebeignetangrilytogivejusticetothosewhodidntgetone

If you feel as strongly about the issue as I do, feel free to use the hashtag. Together, we can show our disapproval for lack of beignets!