Behind-the-Scenes with TIM VO

Behind-The-Scenes With TIM VO

A behind-the-scene look on what goes on during my shoots— from start to finish…

71
Behind-The-Scenes With TIM VO
https://unsplash.com/photos/g6hHqbjghAA

After a long day at school, I usually get home around 3PM and the first thing I do once I get back to my apartment is pop open my laptop and pull up all the files that I need to edit. By "editing" files, I'm not talking about editing that rough draft essay for my Philosophy class (that is due in two days). Rather, I begin my process of selecting the best 50 images from a roll of 2,000 shots that I took from a recent shoot. Once those special 50 are picked out, only about 2-4 (if I'm lucky) will be featured in a professional model's portfolio book…

That's a day in the week for me (in a nutshell), however, the real question is where and how do I even begin the process! To be very candid with you, it can be hard and very grueling at times especially if you're trying to complete a full-time course load and complete those darn GEs left. To save y'all the huge paragraph on what goes on in my collaborations with modeling agencies, I just decided to systematically list out the steps on what planning a TEST shoot entails:

1. I reach out to the model agency agent via email to ask them if I could collaborate with their new face development models (basically new girls who were recently signed and need images to boost their portfolio)

2. The agent kindly provides me with a model in need of shots and from there, the work and planning begins!

3. MOOD BOARD: This is the first piece of information that I send and it is usually a compilation of inspiration pictures that I would like to integrate into my shoot. Whether that would mean the location, outfits, or makeup— the whole point of a mood board is to give everyone participating in the test shoot a very clear idea/ direction on the shoot.

4. CALL SHEET: The last and final piece of information that I send, which is basically a PDF file that contains the location/ date/ time/ and participants of the shoot. In other words, it is a formal information sheet that condenses everything everyone needs to know for the shoot!

5. Good luck on shoot day! Most importantly, have lots of fun and make the most out of it!