For All Those Who Are About To Experience Their Last Summer Vacation

My thoughts on this being my last summer before graduating.

133

As my junior year wraps up, I am saddened to think that another fun year of college has flown by. Of course, knowing summer is right around the corner cheers me right back up again! Yet, this summer brings some bittersweet feelings as I realize it may be my last summer of “freedom” that I get to experience.

Depending on whether I have a job right after graduation, (fingers crossed I do!), this will be the last summer that I have totally free from serious responsibilities. Yes, I will have jobs to make money and save up for my final school year, yet it will never be the same after this summer. There won’t be random days to sleep till noon, afternoon hangouts, day trips to the beach on a Tuesday, and so much more that I will miss.

Summer time has always been my favorite time of year because I get to enjoy myself day to day, have time to relax, spend time with friends, go on a vacation or two, and I am a huge fan of the heat. Except for the heat part, I am sure most college students reading this can sympathize with me. But after this summer, that freedom will be gone. The heat will come and I will more than likely still have my summer nights to enjoy, but this is the last time I will get a legitimate “summer” and it is so sad to think about.

With that being said though, I want to make sure this is a memorable summer. I have had some really great summers in the past and others that were fun, but nothing too out of the ordinary. Even if I spend most of my days doing the same things or simply walk to get ice cream, I want to make a memory out of it.

I do also want to try and do more activities this summer, volunteer at places I have always said I wanted to, take more day or weekend trips, and just live simply. Because as I have begun to notice these are truly the simple times. I want one more summer of feeling as if I am a child, free of responsibility (for the most part) and getting into a little mischief so that I can have a story to tell the grandkids one day.

College has been full of realization moments such as these. Yes, it has been very stressful and I am ready for the day when I never have to do homework again. But as I sit in the library eating piles of candy with my roommates as we all attempt to study and get our final work of the semester done, I cannot help but think of all of the times that I will be sure to miss. The crazy weekends with friends here and at home, the endless amounts of laughter, and just the college life in general.

So while I still have one year left and this entire summer to enjoy, I do not want to take advantage of this last time that I am being given! This summer is a "last" and I will be entering into a year of "lasts" in no time at all. So whoever else is in the same boat as me, enjoy the summer, make memories, and take full advantage of each day and night!