Befriending A Murderer

Befriending A Murderer

God forgives, can you?

42
Befriending A Murderer
Cosmopolitan

In light of recent events, I am officially in communication with a murderer. She had not always had this title with me, and I still consider her my friend. About a month ago, I was surprisingly informed that my friend had found her precious baby breathless in her crib. Everyone's reaction, including myself, was to give her as much sympathy and condolences as possible. Which indeed does make sense based on the current knowledge of the situation.

Unfortunately, just last week, her mugshot was spontaneously posted on social media. It had read that she had smothered her defenseless 5-month-old in her sleep. Though this is both a vile and unacceptable action, that is not the purpose of this article. I wish to focus on the actions followed by the people who know her.

After all of her friends and family heard about this cowardly crime, many turned their backs on her. There were multiple hate posts on her wall stating "how could you.....you're a piece of trash....you deserve to burn in hell for this." These are understandable responses. However, not one time did I see even the slightest bit of love posted for her wrong decision. For those who know her, they are knowledgeable of her life circumstances. It is not an excuse for her crime, but it is something to keep in consideration. Living in a world of drug abuse, sex, and inefficient education are means for creating a murderer.

When she gets released from prison, how do the people of social media expect her to feel seeing those posts? If she comes back with the intentions of making progress, this could push her back from the idea. Do we really want her to take one step forward and two steps back? She is doing the time for her sin, and will have plenty of time to put her puzzle pieces back together. Who are we to judge her?

It is said in Mark, "For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”. As humans, we all have sin in our lives. God looks at these sins as one in the same. One sin is not considered greater than the other. As Christians, or in general people, we should not display resentment, but instead display unconditional love and have the intention to help her get through this black hole she has created in her life. Let us all face it, there is not a mother in this world that would take their own child's live and be sane. There was definitely something deeper and hidden inside the heart and soul of this individual. Reach out and be a friend, not a subjective being.