Think Before You Ink

Think Before You Ink

Rock it and own it, it's yours forever.

441
Think Before You Ink
Madison Ruffin

Thinking about getting a tattoo?

The taboo surrounding tattoos has become less and less prevalent as more and more people are getting them. This can be such an exciting life event, especially if you're thinking of inking up with something really special and close to your heart. However, because you are putting something permanent on your body forever, here are a few things to consider before you dive in.

Finding inspiration

It's fairly common to get a tattoo that has a significant meaning attached to it, either a saying from a family member, a bible verse, or a birth date of someone special to you. Whatever it may be, a tattoo is a fun and creative way to showcase it. And in most cases, the more meaningful a tattoo is, chances are you won't regret it years down the road. With this being said, all tattoos don't necessarily have to hold a meaning either! There are so many reasons to get a tattoo or to get one just because you want to. No matter the case, it should be special to you.

To find some inspiration, looking online at Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, etc. are all great resources when finding a tattoo that fits you the best. Here are some links below:

99 Impossibly Small and Cute Tattoos Every Girl Would Want

Tattoos of Instagram

Tiny Tattoo Inspiration

44 Quote Tattoos

Safety first

Safety should be a top concern of anyone getting a new tattoo. Do some research on the tattoo place/tattoo artist beforehand. Look for reviews on Yelp or a tattoo shop's website, or ask friends about recommendations. Once you find a tattoo artist, ask to see a portfolio of their work to see what they're capable of (and if the price you pay matches up to their artistry).

Ask the artist what type of ink they use. You may be aware that some tattoos cause pain and discomfort for people when getting an MRI. This is because the tattoo ink itself has metal in it, which isn't healthy for your body and skin. Nowadays, some places offer ink that is vegan and created by all natural resources to produce the color. This is a super cool, animal-friendly, and an overall healthier and safer way to get your tattoo.

Once in the tattoo shop, look for disposable, individually packaged tattoo kits that contain the needles and tubes. This ensures that the needle being used on you hasn't been used on anyone prior to your visit. Also check for sterility/hygiene care (sanitary gloves that the artist puts on, bags over equipment, sloppy work areas, dirty surfaces, etc). There are many telltale signs that you should take into consideration before going under the needle.

What to expect: Do's/Don't's

DO expect pain; check your pain tolerance! It's important to know what you can handle because this is not an extremely pleasurable experience (unless you're into needles and stuff, then you might enjoy it). However, if it hurt THAT bad, no one would get them! The pain is bearable and totally worth it if you really want a tattoo.

DO ask questions. This is a life changing decision for some people, so do what you need to do to feel most comfortable. Ask questions, ask them to go slow at first, ask them to countdown before they actually go to work. Most tattoo artists understand the nerves of getting a tattoo, especially if it's your first one. They'll be more than willing to make this experience as fun and relaxing as possible for you.

DON'T take an aspirin beforehand. As you may know, aspirin is a blood thinner and you'll already be bleeding enough from the needle itself, so blood thinners will only make this worse.

DON'T bring too many people with you. Bring one or two people who hold special places in your life for a hand to squeeze if need be.

Are you ready?

Here is a quick checklist and some questions to ask yourself:

- Is this an impulse decision?

- Can you see yourself rocking the new ink 10 years from now?

- Will you have to cover it up for work?

- Is someone else influencing you to get one?

- Are you positive about the design/placement?

Other things to consider

If you're unsure of a design/placement, DO NOT GET IT! You may really really want to get a tattoo, but don't let that distract you from making a smart decision because it is permanent and a very big deal for some people! So sleep on it. If you can't stop thinking about it and you know exactly what you want and where then do it. But if not, hold off and wait until you know 1000%.

Other people will want to make your tattoo their business. Just know if it is right for you and you're in love with it, that's all that matters! You don't have to explain the meaning to anyone or explain why you got it and why you got it there, it's your body and it's special! Rock it and own it, it's yours forever.