The Advice I Didn't Know I Needed To Cure My Pre-College Jitters

Being an incoming college freshman can be scary... good thing I had some friends who were willing to lend me some advice before I moved in.

149
author's photo

College is something that we're always told about when we're younger. We're told to go to a nice school and get a quality education. We're told that college will be the best years of our lives and that we shouldn't waste the opportunity.

Here I am about to go to college, what the heck am I walking into? I have never known what to expect when it came to college because it seems like every experience is so different. Movies make college look like all you do is party and pledge, while relatives can make college seem like all you do is write essays and cry.

I love Ithaca, and I'm excited to be starting there really soon, but besides what I experienced in freshman orientation, I don't know much. I know who my roommate is (Hi Stephanie!), I know our dorm, and I know what major I'm studying. I got my books for class and a lot of dorm essentials, but besides that...I've got nothing.

Going to a college preparatory school, you would think I know what to expect: I don't. All I know is how to write an essay under pressure and time management. It's weird, my entire life at a College Prep school I was given structure.

It seems like all they do at college is give you freedom, so what do I need to know about college? What should I expect? These questions I've had until I decided to ask my friends.

Now I have a lot of older friends, and ironically enough they all act like older siblings to me. So I decided I would just ask them what expect and what incoming freshman should know. So thank you to all my friends in different grades that gave me good advice.

"...I know going into college means a sense of responsibility and freedom. But be wise with it! You'll always have some chances at having fun, but not a lot of chances at education!

Take a mixture of different classes your first year to see what actually interest you. Make sure you plan, plan, plan out your schedule. Make sure to have an advisor, join study groups and find places you can study peacefully.

Complete assignments ahead of time and make your first year count". This advice comes from my friend Jasmine, she's a senior at Dickinson. The advice she gave was really useful, and even though I am going in declared: I am taking classes outside of my major to get variety.

I know a lot of people that are going into their freshman year undecided and it's completely understandable. I didn't always know I would be going to school for communications, I only knew that I liked art and I liked to express myself. So I went in decided is because I found something that I really love and am passionate about.

I am almost certain I'm going to make so many mistakes and I'm just glad college is about the learning curve. It's kind of hard to expect 18-year-olds to determine their entire future, we just got the ability to vote.

"Make sure that you balance your social life and your academic life. It's possible to excel in both, but you have to make sure you remember the reason you're in college in the first place. And if you're planning on going to a party and social events, make sure your homework gets done first".

That advice was from my friend Alexus, she's starting her sophomore year at Morgan State. She's someone I've always known to have a level head but can let loose and have fun at the same time. I feel like if I keep a level head at college I'll be fine, but it always helps to have friends willing to give advice through it.

"Go to class and do the work, you'll be fine. You should also make sure to be nice to your professors". "Don't BS" "You never really know someone until you live with them."

A couple messages I received more than once, but I think the more times people say it the more important it is. I'm excited to start college and begin this new chapter in my life. But even so, I have friends who give great advice to help me along the way.

Putting the college jitters aside, I know I have a lot of excitement!