When Did I Become A Second-Semester Senior?

Time flies when you're either drunk or hungover.

35

When did I become a second-semester senior?

A question that is in the same category as when did they start putting alcohol in ice cream? It all just sorta happened because life just sorta happens.

It was an inevitable event that was going to take place at one point or another. So here we are, second semester, senior year. Where did the time go?

It feels like just yesterday I was applying to colleges, trying to figure out what I wanted to major in for the next four years and embarking on a new chapter of my life. And now almost four years later I'm going to graduate in four short months.

These past four years have been filled with laughter, tears, and an incredible amount of growth.

I have grown as a human being (not height wise, though... still 5'4"!!) in ways I never expected. I know who I am, what I like and I have a better idea of what I want to do with my life.

I think I speak for everyone who is at this point in their life when I say that we're not the same people who stepped on campus four years ago.

How could we be?

The more I look back on the last four years of my life, the more I realize how much has changed, how much has stayed the same and how much life has challenged me.

They say college is the best four years of your life, and whoever "they" are might be right, but "they" forget to mention that college is the most pivotal four years of your life. And through it all, I have learned SO much.

I've learned how crazy the world is and how cruel, amazing, unfair, and beautiful life can be.

I've learned how to open a bottle of wine when there isn't a bottle opener in sight.

I've learned the importance of eating pizza after a night out.

I've learned how to write a paper the night before it's due.

I've learned that there are few relationships more valuable that the one between you and your cab driver.

I've learned how to make the most out of a day off aka sleep all day.

I've learned that school is enjoyable when you're taking classes you're actually interested in.

I've learned how to cook and how to heat up the leftover food my mom sends me. (LOL)

I've learned that some people absolutely suck.

I've learned that some people are so genuine and strong– and what made them that way.

I've learned how to go out the night before a test (And every time I did I ended up doing really well on that test???)

I've learned day-drinking is a marathon, not a sprint. I learned that the hard way.

I could go on but they all seem to relate to drinking so I'm going to stop before my mom texts me saying, "I read your newest article, you know you don't have to drink to have fun, Ashley."

My point is that the last four years have taught me so much about myself, other people, life, and alcohol. (I know, I know. You don't have to drink to have fun!!)

So cheers to second semester, senior year. This chapter is finally coming to an end and either you're thrilled, scared, or have mixed feelings about it. All I can say is, enjoy it. Because life is crazy.