Nickelodeon's Power Couple Was Actually Just A Toxic Relationship

Beck and Jade may have been an attractive couple, but the dynamic of their relationship was anything but.

1101

Victorious was a show many of us grew up with, and now that it's available on Netflix, we've gone back to relive our pre-teenage years. The show featured your everyday high school students, the nerdy guy, popular girl and boy best friends, ditzy girl, and of course, the couple that everyone wanted to be half of: Beck and Jade.

Their relationship was very prominent in the show from the first episode, making viewers fall in love with their love. But don't let this fool you, the relationship between Beck and Jade had many toxic features. They may have been an attractive couple, but the dynamic of their relationship was anything but.

For example, in the "Locked Up" episodes, we found out that Beck's family had a strong dislike for Jade. They even uninvited both of them from the Mexico trip because of Jade. You would think that to have a healthy, long-lasting relationship you want your family to like your significant other. It can be problematic when it comes down to choosing between the person you're romantically involved with, or the people who raised you. There should never have to be a choice.

In the episode "WiFi In The Sky", Jade was clearly having trust issues with Beck. She went as far as breaking down his door due to the speculation that he was cheating on her with a cheerleader. In the episode, we find out that there was, in fact, a cheerleader involved, but she happened to be below the age of ten. This showed us the emotionally abusive aspect of Beck and Jade's relationship. There was never a time where Jade gave him the chance to explain himself, and she ended up coming over to his house uninvited. This may be okay in a relationship, but the mistrust and jumping to conclusions shouldn't be.

In multiple episodes, Beck is seen surrounded by girls that aren't Jade, and he doesn't seem to be too bothered by that. In a loving relationship, a person would act immediately if they were being hit on by someone other than their significant other. Maybe Beck was seeking a relationship that Jade couldn't give to him, or maybe he was looking for an argument with her.

Either way, we were definitely blind to the toxicity within the relationship we always dreamed of having.