How I Became A Feminist

How I Became A Feminist

My Journey Through Womanhood

673
How I Became A Feminist
Vox

I grew up in a very conservative, male-dominated household. I was always around my three brothers and all their friends, they were like “extended” brothers. I never felt like I was treated any different than the rest of them (the way some girls are). As I grew up, I had the same views as my family and I had a very narrow understanding of feminism. I had pictured feminism as women being easily offended and very politically correct. Looking back, I shake my head at how ignorant I was.

Growing up as a women once you hit your teenage years, you begin to realize how you are treated differently. Certain activities you are left out of or are told a guy should be doing that. I always defied that idea that a man should be doing whatever it was that I was doing, whether it was carrying drums for the school band or engaging in some type of political conversation and so on. I hated being restricted.

Once I hit sophomore year of high school I came to a few realizations about religion, my political beliefs, and how I felt about being a woman. I became proud of being female and that I was not “weak” no matter how much society wanted me to believe that. I educated myself more on female issues. People seem to have many misconceptions about feminism, which I find unfortunate. In light of the Women’s March and #MeToo, I truly hope more men and women come to a realization like I did when I was fifteen.