Beauty Trends Do Not Define Your Self-Worth, You Do

Find validation in yourself, not in what society tells you.

109

Health trends, beauty trends, fashion trends… you name it. The list goes on and on. There are more social and fashion rules than you can even think of, and from the time we become old enough to understand the word 'trend,' we are told that we need to keep up with them.

The problem is not that trends exist. There's no way to completely get rid of trends in a society based on inherent judgement of looks. Instead, the problem is that we are so fixated on what's 'top trending' that we have very little time for things that are much more important. Things like relationships, family, and self-love and care have been shoved to the backburner because we are so focused on attaining the latest makeup look or fashion-forward outfit.

For what, though? The satisfaction of being just like everyone else? We spend so much time wishing we could be exactly like the models on Instagram that we fail to recognize our personal, individual beauty. We end up hating ourselves because of some unattainable source of what's "beautiful" or not.

Well, if you're looking for a sign, here it is: beauty trends don't define you or your self-worth. You are the only person who can define that for yourself. Nobody else can decide how beautiful you are because it is very much based on how you view yourself. So, instead of hating yourself for what you don't have, love yourself for what you do. You are beautiful with your own style, and no beauty trend has the right to tell you otherwise (not to mention, you become so much happier when you allow yourself to set your own standard of beauty).

Easier said than done, right? Oh, trust me, I understand. Confidence takes time. It's not something you can just 'decide' to have overnight; it takes work. It took me 18 years to find my confidence, and I still have to fight to find it every day. It's a long and difficult journey which leads to a complete change in the way you live, but it proves so incredibly beneficial to your mental health, presence in social and work settings, and happiness. It changes your wellbeing from the ground up.

What we need as a society is a shift in perspective. It's such common belief nowadays to think that trends are permanent, but they're absolutely not. Just look at how much has changed in the past 50 years! Fads go in and out of style. Clothing and makeup styles go in and out in the blink of an eye, and next thing we know, society is on to the next one. To attempt at keeping up with it is futile, so why spend so much time, effort, and money on something that will only last a week?

How we love ourselves is permanent. Our own positivity is permanent. How we treat people and how we enhance our relationships is permanent. Everything else is temporary. Don't fall into the trap of thinking the latest beauty trend is life or death, because it's not. You can have your own style; you can be your own person. Learning how to love yourself for the way you are is much more important than trying to change yourself to fit into societal standards. Love you, because you're pretty awesome!