Why Beauty Is A Social Construct

Why Beauty Is A Social Construct

Beauty is so much more than what people see when they look at you.
1944

Why is it that Meghan Trainor "won't be no stick figure, silicone Barbie doll?" Naturally, it's because that tends to be the ideal female human model that every woman secretly thinks is the definition of beauty. Of course, this does not give Trainor the license to insult anyone who is this way, because if these people think they are beautiful, then they are beautiful.

Why are we striving to be so aesthetically pleasing to the public? Why are we getting nipped and tucked and losing or gaining weight? Because it makes you feel better about yourself? But the real question, of course, is why does it make you feel better about yourself? Because even when you think it's just for you, it's actually because of the idea of a default human being that you have in your mind, and you're just not quite fitting the quota. If you truly think you don't care how people are perceiving you, then you should consider yourself to be perfect. If everyone's nose was as big as you thought yours was, would you still hate your nose?

Most people believe beauty is the symmetry of the face. But in my experience, I've met many people with perfectly symmetrical faces, but once I spoke to them and got a taste of their personality, it made that face turn sour. This is how it should be. We should be in a society where the only thing that should be critiqued about a person is how they behave in social situations. Why does the way they look matter if they have a heart of gold? Why are we marrying the gorgeous gold diggers and blocking out the women who would give you their heart on a silver platter?

Beauty to me is the increasing heart rate of someone after hearing their friend is in trouble. It's the flowers sent to you at the hospital when you need a pick me up. It's the rainbow after the thunderstorm that helps you see that everything bad has an end. It is the words spoken from the heart when you're so blindly in love. It's putting your own well being at risk because you know someone needs help. That is beauty, not the outer shell where it lies.

I've heard many people throughout my life try to argue this, and there is always someone to ruin it and make a comment, such as, "Only ugly girls actually believe that." Seriously, dude? Are you that ignorant that you can't even see that you are part of the problem? Why are we putting people down for their appearances? We should be lifting each other up and encouraging each other to look however they feel the most confident. And other people's opinions and words should not be affecting their decisions.

So to put it simply, wear all that makeup, you beautiful human — that confidence looks amazing on you. Don't wear the makeup; you don't need it if you feel beautiful without it. Wear your tight clothes and your short skirt — that shows that you love your body, and nobody can "slut shame" you because they know nothing about your sex life. Wear your long pants and turtleneck, because modesty is beautiful too. Do whatever you want to do, and the world will learn to accept it. At the end of the day, the world is not with you in your bedroom, it's just you having your late night thoughts and questioning why you couldn't be yourself today. So make yourself proud.