Beauty Of Life

Beauty Of Life

Do not conform to society's "standards"

5
Beauty Of Life

The great poet Edgar Allan Poe once wrote: “There is no beauty without some strangeness.” I could not have read a more perfect quote. We live in a society where we conform. I mean, we constantly conform. We are constantly worried about what other people are doing. We base our actions and judgments on others. I honestly think these actions are due to the social media dominated world we live in. We see who is going where on Facebook. We see who is wearing what on Instagram. We look to see the latest gossip on Twitter. I mean if you think about it, are we just clones of one another? Are we all afraid to be who we truly are because we are afraid of other people’s opinions? Are we just imitators?

Sad, but true, I firmly believe that we are all genuinely afraid to be our true selves. I mean I am prone to it myself. I seek approval. I do not even think seek is a strong enough word to describe the constant affirmation I look for. I hate to admit it, but I am motivated by other people – in the WORST way. Maybe you are like me, and you are constantly afraid of other people’s opinion on yourself. I, sadly, live my life constantly to please others. I always just thought the root of my actions was because I grew up with very strict parents. I am sure this is the root of why I am the way I a; however, you would think that college would change me. Nope, I am constantly seeking the approval of my friends. I make sure everyone is pleased. I go places where my friends want to go. I eat where my friends want to eat. I am constantly adjusting my schedule for others. Believe me, I know this has to stop.

I am afraid to be my real self. I am afraid to like the things I like and do the things I like to do because maybe it is not considered “normal” to societal norms. But if we constantly a live a life for others, I ask you, how can we truly be happy? How do we have the potential to become a beautiful and full being? I will admit I am strange. I get excited over the littlest of things. I have a passion for fashion. I love makeup. I love to eat healthy. I love to workout even more. I love the smell of coffee. I could sit in the ocean for an ungodly amount of time. I actually find joy in studying. I do not like skipping class. I rather spend time with my parents than go out with my friends. I am the most awake in the morning. I could keep naming my little eccentricities, but I think you get the point. Yes, it is truly hard for me to admit to all of these because society would look at these in a funny face. But if I learned anything from my twenty years of being, it is to STOP CARING WHAT SOCIETY THINKS. Reflecting on these past twenty years, I have to say I feel like I have been trapped. Trapped by my parents. Trapped by my friends. Trapped by expectations. Well, I stopped caring. How can the world come to appreciate my real self if I just continue to be a clone of other people? We are all beautiful in our unique ways. We are all strange. It is in this strangeness that the beauty of the world can be found. It is time to show the world the beautiful beings we truly are.