The Beautiful Gospel Through My Smelly Feet

My feet may never make it on the front cover of 'Pedicures Weekly', but they are beautiful because of the good news they carry.

420
Unsplash

You stand in front of the mirror. What do you see?

Do you see beauty? Or do you see the pimple on your chin?

Do you see talent? Or do you see hard work that doesn't seem to pay off?

Do you see beloved? Or do you see under-appreciated?

I see my feet. Smelly, size ten, big-toed feet that carry thousands of miles and show the wear from it all. I feel like I just admitted to murdering someone because this is not a fact I am proud to tell my friends, let alone the internet. But, it's true. I think it's true for a lot of us: I don't know many people who have beautiful, perfectly polished feet that smell of roses and vanilla. If you do, please have them call me and tell me the secret to their success.

I tend to think most of my parts are not beautiful. Sometimes, I'm worried that this idea will come across as a plea for pity, and that's exactly what it is. I complain about my size, my height, my latest breakout, my FEET, and the dozens of other "problems" I find; there is no other justification for these complaints except that I want people to tell me I'm wrong. Once again, I don't think I'm alone in this thought process.

We all want the vocal affirmation of our communities even though our Creator has already given us the only affirmation that matters.

How can I say this with certainty? It's in God's Word.

You can see in Psalm 139:14-15 that David says,

"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth."

Okay, so we might already be familiar with the first part of that verse. We were fearfully and wonderfully made. There is wonder in our bones. There is light in our eyes. Still feel unappreciated? Skip down to the end of verse 15 where David describes the moment of his creation as being "intricately woven."

Intricately woven.

You were not just made. You were not an afterthought thrown together with the leftovers of the people who came before you. Every fiber of your being was intricately woven with purpose, the purpose of glorifying the Weaver. The Creator. Our Father.

oh people
of this weary earth:
lift your heads!
you are not forgotten.
you are not erased
from the Mind of our Savior.
you are beautiful
because the Gospel has beautified you.
you are pure
because the Gospel has purified you.
you will shine
because Christ Jesus shines in you.

Even my feet were a part of this intricate weaving. They were given purpose, too. More than just to hold us up, they were designed with intent. In Isaiah 52:7, the Lord says,

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him [or her] who brings good news!"

They were designed to carry the Gospel to the people around us, to deliver the Message that will transform other people's feet into beautiful creations, as well! That's the key: we are only beautiful because of the price Jesus paid for us. The crazy thing? He loved us even before He paid that price and before we ever loved Him.

Our God loves us! On that note, here are some tips on how to avoid stinky shoes and feet for the future:

Put baby powder in your shoes and let them sit overnight.

Put green tea bags in your shoes and let them sit overnight.

Use a body scrub in the shower to get rid of smelly, dead skin cells.

Always wear socks.

Love your feet the way they are!

But really, ALWAYS WEAR SOCKS.