The Hashtag '#BeatingWomenisHappiness' Is Happening

One woman's fight leads to an unimaginable hashtag.

39
Peridico Correo

If you’ve been on Twitter or Facebook lately, surely you’ve seen the video of the Mexican senator who was beaten by a group of men back in December, pictured like this;

The reason this issue is coming up again is because of the horrifying hashtag that has begun trending… #BeatingWomenisHappiness.

Ana Guevara, a former silver medalist in the 2004 Olympic 400 meter, entering politics in 2009 as a Mexican Senator isn’t the only target of this disturbing trend.

Back in December, Guevara rode her motorcycle on a busy highway towards the capital. A vehicle hit her bike but she was not injured from that impact. After she confronted the driver, ordering him to stop, four large men jumped out and physical assaulted her resulting in wounds and bruises and surgery on her left cheekbone.

So how does a woman go from this strong powerful positive feminine figure...

To this...

...and still receive backlash and hate all over the internet?

Typically, we would assume that the feedback would be repulsed by the perpetrators and supporting the victim right?

Well apparently, we’re wrong and we live in a world full of sexist bigots who hide behind demeaning trending hashtags.. here are just a few under the hashtag, #GolpearMujeresEsFelicidad…

1. “If she broke your heart, break her face. #BeatingWomenisHappiness”

2. “If it does not make you a good sandwich #BeatingWomenisHappiness”

3. “#BeatingWomenisHappiness If it does not hit you, it does not want you ;)”

4. "#BeatingWomenisHappiness When a man gloves a woman"

5. “Already complaining about such a good hashtag, it seems that some man did not hit his wife well. #BeatingWomenisHappiness”

I don't know if this is supposed to be some sort of sick joke but frankly that doesn't matter.

I don’t care if you and your buddies think this is funny locker room talk. Physically beating a woman is not a joke.

Did you know that 1 in 3 women are physically assaulted at least once in their lifetime?

This is a serious issue, one that should not be made fun of in one's leap for retweets

The fact that this is a trending hashtag is appalling and I hope you all feel the same way.

So in response to this, I believe we should start with the hashtag: #LovingWomenisHappiness.

Let's start supporting each other rather than tearing each other down.