4 Skin Tips To Beat Winter Roughness

4 Skin Tips To Beat Winter Roughness

Ways To Keep Your Skin Smooth And Hydrated

9
Blog.NewYorkSpa.com

New York City’s weather has been all over the place this winter. On Dec. 25th, 2015, the city broke the record for the warmest Christmas ever with 66 degrees Fahrenheit. Christmas didn’t feel normal with people at the table wearing shorts and the A.C was on because all the cooking was overheating the apartment.

On Friday, March 4th, it was predicted that we would receive a few snow flurries with a high of 37 degrees Fahrenheit. But on Wednesday, March 9th, the city might reach 70 degrees. It’s difficult to get dressed in the morning with the constantly changing weather, but it’s even tougher to have smooth, hydrated skin.

The weather’s ups and downs are affecting the skin of New Yorkers, leaving them parched. It’s common to experience flakiness on our faces, especially if we’re sick and wiping runny noses. But our bodies can also experience dry, itchy skin. Here are a few tips to avoid white patches and continue looking great through rain or shine.

1. Don't Shower In Extremely Hot Water.

I’m guilty of loving hot showers, but it’s not good for our skin. It will dry you out because the water will break down the natural layer of oil the skin produces to keep moisture in. A clear sign you’ve spent too long in a hot shower is red, itchy skin once you’re done. Even though it feels great on sore, tired muscles, opt for lukewarm water instead.

2. Remember To Moisturize Your Face And Body.

Make it a habit to moisture after showering or washing your hands. After stepping out of the shower pat your face and body dry. Rubbing your skin (even hair) will irritate it. I moisture with an oil-free face lotion and lather my body with Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion from shoulders to feet. By doing this, it seals in moisture and helps you avoid itchy, red skin later.

3. Use A Mask.

When I experience white patches I immediately reach for my Freeman’s Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Facial Clay Mask. After taking a warm shower, I pat (not rub) my face dry and apply the mask directly onto my face. It will dry after 15 to 20 minutes and with a wet face towel I take off the mask in circular motion. It’s a simple, gentle way to exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin without being aggressive. Remember to moisturize your washed off face with lotion afterwards.

4. Drink Your Water.

In the winter, most people have a hot drink in their hands and it’s usually coffee. Although it smells amazing and tastes even better, it can leave you dehydrated. Caffeinated drinks cause a person to urinate more often which can lead to slight dehydration, but it can also cause headaches after leaving your system. After drinking coffee, drink water to relieve headaches, help your skin stay hydrated and at its peak. I prefer drinking caffeine-free chamomile tea during the day, cinnamon tea at night and plain water whenever possible to stay hydrated.