Beat the Heat: How to Keep Your Family Cool During the Peak of the Summer

Keep the AC going without increasing energy bills

5

Heatwaves are affecting everyone worldwide, and staying cool is more important than ever. As climate change makes for longer and hotter weather, it's essential to find creative ways to stay cool without increasing energy bills. While your AC is your first line of defense against severe heat, there are other ways to keep cool without putting extra strain on your AC unit. Here are a few ways to beat the heat this summer and keep your family cool.

Get Wet

Whether you hit the pool or take a cold shower, keeping your skin wet is an excellent way to stay cool when the temperature outside is on the rise. If you don't have access to a pool or don't want to take three showers a day to stay cool, consider using a spray bottle or putting your hands and feet in cold water.

Keep Your AC in Peak Condition

The bottom line is that your AC does most of the hard work to keep your home cool and comfortable. Even a tiny problem in your AC unit can lead to improper and inefficient cooling or a complete breakdown. The best way to ensure your air conditioner will run efficiently and correctly is to use quality air conditioner services.

Quality air conditioner services include regular maintenance, proper installation, and reliable repairs. When you skimp on maintenance or opt for low-cost repair and installation, you risk your AC unit failing over time or running poorly. Losing your AC in the heatwave can be dangerous and costly.

Stay Indoors

You should avoid going outside during the hottest part of the day. If you have to go outside, wear sunscreen, carry plenty of water, and limit your exposure to direct sunlight.

Use Fans

Ceiling and other fans are great for keeping your energy bill down to earth while lowering stress on your air conditioner. You can use fans to cool rooms rather than reduce the temperature on your thermostat. Sitting directly in front of a fan or beneath a ceiling will also help you stay cool in hot weather.

Drink Plenty of Cold Water

It's vital to drink plenty of water during hot weather. Even if you spend most of your time indoors, your body will lose fluids in an attempt to keep you cool. Losing too many fluids can lead to dehydration. Drinking plenty of cold water will prevent dehydration and help to lower your body temperature, and keep you feeling cool.

Hot temperatures are nothing to take lightly. When temperatures are very high, it's not only a danger to your health but also puts added stress on your home's cooling system. Applying some of the suggestions listed above can lower your energy bills, keep your AC running its best, and keep your family cool and comfortable.