Be your own adult princess
Life Stages

being an Adult Princess is oK

Be your own kind of Princess

72
being an Adult Princess is oK

Every girl dreams about being a princess when they are younger. Usually they grow out of it by the time they are around 10-12. However, if you are anything like me, that dream has never faded. I will openly admit that I am a 20 year old woman who is still obsessed with the idea of being a princess.

The appeal of this fantasy as you are growing up include the riches, the power, and most importantly, the prince. That being said, as a grown adult those thoughts don't not cross your mind. However, with the added knowledge of the world it is also the opportunity to help others with the power and riches you are given. It is also to have that love that just seems so hard to come by these days. The fantasy of becoming a princess is one in a million, that one being Meghan Markle, but we all have dreamed it at some point. I know that I will most likely never be a princess (fun fact :most princes are either way younger or way older than me and yes I have checked), but now the premise of how to hold yourself to the "princess standard" has become a inclusion in my everyday life. Be kind to others, show the public your best self etc.

Although this fantasy will never happen in the real world, there is one place other than my dreams that it can. That place being… Disneyworld! On a recent trip to Disneyworld my first stop in Magic Kingdom was the tiara shop. There is no other place in the world where it is acceptable for a grown woman to wear a tiara or even mouse ears not on Halloween. With my tiara I was ready to take on the world. I held my head a little taller and my back a little straighter. I didn't truly get into character until the first time a cast member said "Have a good ride, princess!" For some that would be offensive, basically being looked down on or lowered to the age of a child. But it didn't for me. I finally got to be what I always dreamed to be, even though I know that that is what the cast members are required to say.

At the end of the day in Magic Kingdom, they showcase their iconic fireworks. I haven't been there for a few years so when they redid the show, it was completely new to me. As the fireworks boomed and the inspirational words blasted through the park, I came to a realization. I finally realized what Disney is about. They preach over and over again to follow your dreams; in that moment standing there, head held high with my tiara resting on top, I was following one of my dreams. No matter how silly those dreams are - even being 20 year old fake Cinderella - they are all possible. I thought of my time here at college and how I am pursuing my dreams of an education and a future job in the field that I want.

Going to Disneyworld as an adult is a whole different experience than going as a child and I would highly reccomend everyone to experience it. As cheesy as it sounds, be your own princess if that's your dream, and overall, just never stop dreaming.