BBQ Breakdown: Where To Go, What To Eat

BBQ Breakdown: Where To Go, What To Eat

Lexington has a lot of bbq, which suits you?

24
BBQ Breakdown: Where To Go, What To Eat
Rubberband

Summer is in full swing, and with it comes the promise of amazing barbecue! There's no better time for bbq than the summer. Iced cold sweet tea, corn on the cob, and a slab of meat covered in a sticky, wonderful sauce. Personally, bbq is one of my favorite types of food, so I eat it all year round like many other Southerners, but summer and bbq are synonymous. It's like how you can eat a cookie anytime of the year, but at Christmas it means something. So here is my ode to the summer staple; whether it's grilled, roasted, smoked, charred, or even baked! Many people are surprised by how many different styles of bbq exist out there, so I'm here to break it down for you. What kind of bbq you can grab, and where to get it, all topped with a nice little bow. (Sorry to those of you not in the tri-county region, but this one's for the home folks.)

1. Red State BBQ, Georgetown/Lexington, Texas-Style

This jewel is the best kept secret in Fayette County. Red State opened in 2010, founded by a Texas native, and is a small hole-in-the-wall snuggled next to the old Sunset Motel. The overhead may be small, but the place is never seen empty, and their food truck (affectionately known as Rollin' Red) can be seen chugging around downtown on a regular basis. Texas-style bbq has little emphasis on sauce, it's all about the dry rub and quality of smoke on a meat. Red State offers many great homemade sauce options, but the meat's so good it hardly needs it. Recommendations include the brisket and the bread pudding.

2. Lyle's BBQ Company, Nicholasville, Missouri-Style

Lyle's mouth-watering food first gained popularity at UK games. Now with their own storefront, they're paving the way for the local bbq scene. Lyle's is unique because it actually uses a multitude of bbq styles on the menu. They too serve Texas-style brisket and North Carolina-style pulled pork, but the ribs are all Missouri all the way. Ribs are a staple in St. Louis, often paired with a more tangy sauce to contract the sweet sauces found in Tennessee, but having a good char on your meat just for the heck of it originated in Kansas City. Either way, Lyle's fuses the best Missouri has to offer in their ribs. Get yourself a half rack with a side of the smoked mac and cheese. Wearing a belt that day is not recommended in the slightest.

3. J.J. McBrewster's, Lexington, Carolina-Style

J.J.'s has been in Lexington for some time now, and many people drive right past it on their way to the mall. Well they shouldn't. The bbq joint's been on the Food Network multiple times, and the pulled pork is a thing of beauty. Carolina-style bbq is exclusively centered around pulled pork in a peppered vinegar or mustard-based sauce. This is what J.J.'s does best. It's light, it's bold, and saves the sweet tooth for dessert. Recommendations include a pulled pork sandwich with Western sauce and banana pudding to finish.

4. J. Render's Southern Table, Beaumont/Lexington, Tennessee-Style

Render's is the perfect example of one of the core mantras in Tennessee bbq, 'anything is bbq if you make it bbq.' Tennessee is known for their sweet, thick style sauce, but any true bbq fan also knows that in Tennessee you can make anything into bbq. Whether it be bbq nachos, pizza, dips, or burritos, Tennessee-style is the one that longs to share bbq with the world! Render's has been a food truck for some time, just like how many of these joints got their start, but the restaurant feels trendy and fresh, all while serving collard greens. Speaking of collard greens, have them on the side of Big Red's burrito and finish it with the Maker's & Cola cake. My mouth's watering just thinking about it.

5. Billy's BBQ, Lexington, Kentucky-Style (R.I.P.)

Unfortunately dear Billy's closed earlier this year, but even in memory it deserves a spot on this list. Kentucky-style bbq is lesser known in the culinary world, but features unique meats like mutton and venison. Billy's could do it all and then some. Any kind of craving or desire could be satisfied with a trip to Billy's, and Lexington's heart will mourn its loss for some time. Personal favorites included the burgoo, black eyed peas, and their oh-so-golden cornbread. A moment of silence for the cornbread, if you please.

All in all, Lexington and the surrounding areas are chop full of wonderful bbq joints. You can't really go wrong! The popular favorite in town right now is actually City BBQ, which certainly deserves an honorable mention. City BBQ is a great place to go with your family and see what style appeals best to you, they have a little bit whole lot of everything! But in the spirit of summer, go out and explore your local joints. Have a sweet tea on me, folks.