A Battle Fought with Words....and Music? (PART FOUR)

The closing number

65
Get Wallpapers.com

Part 4: And That's A Wrap!

As we have been looking at Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson over the last three weeks, there is a consistent trend that has taken place, animosity. The two, as shown, fought over literally every single major political issue. So what do we have to learn from this?

Hidden inside the depths of both men's hearts lied something crucial to the foundation and furthering of our country, respect. Respect was earned over years and years of arguments between the two. You see, even though they disagreed politically they were never too prideful to see the others' point of view.

Now, how can we possibly relate that to modern times and context? As you can see Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson had opposing views on a lot of different things but in the end, even with opposing views they made peace with each other. In a writing found from the election of 1800 on the Democratic-Republican Party side of things, Hamilton ended up supporting the former Secretary of State over his opponent Senator Aaron Burr.

The reasoning behind Alexander’s decision to pull for Jefferson was the idea that even though they had opposing viewpoints and were from separate parties, Jefferson knew what he stood for and had the moral compass that is necessary for a person to lead the country.

If Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson were able to have a mutual respect for one another’s opinions than why can’t we? We are in such a polarized time in our political climate that it is hard to even turn on the news without back and forth yelling from both Liberal and Conservative people.

There needs to be a call to action to the people, that just because you disagree politically, that doesn’t mean that you must hate others around you. Rather, let us be able to see the differences between us as unique and admirable qualities.

Politics and government will always have those who side more with a larger Federal Government or Federalists and those who believe that the people are the ones that should hold ultimate power in the country. Will it always be a battle fought with words and maybe even music?

"Mr. Jefferson, though too revolutionary in his notions, is yet a lover of liberty and will be desirous of something like orderly Government – Mr. Burr loves nothing but himself – thinks of nothing but his own aggrandizement – and will be content with nothing short of permanent power and in his own hands – No compact, that he should make with any other passion in his breast except ambition, could be relied upon by himself – How then should we be able to rely upon any agreement with him? Mr. Jefferson, I suspect will not dare much Mr. Burr will dare every thing in the sanguine hope of effecting every thing."

-Alexander Hamilton from the year 1800