The Basics When Starting To Work

The Basics When Starting To Work

Think before you spend

23
The Basics When Starting To Work
Google Images

The Basics Of Working

When we are going through our college years we are all on the look out for jobs. Part time, full time or both, we really need to be prepared about what we are getting ourselves into.

As a college athlete, a full time student and someone who tries to get as many hours in at work as humanly possible, I know what it is like when there is all work and no play. Yes, I understand that there are people that work full time, have kids and still need to focus on their personal lives, but I am 20 years old, okay?

How old are you?

When asked that question, I am sure many that are reading this are all sorts of different ages, but in reality, what should you be doing at your age? Should you be in your career? Starting a family? Nowadays, I feel like many people are in no way where they want to be. So, speaking in my perspective and what I have done to make sure that I have time just to sit down and relax, I am really going to talk about my life. Yes, this is a blog and people talk about their lives all of the time, but in reality how many people are going to listen? I do believe that my life is interesting, crazy busy and well, full of drama. People that know me personally, know what I am talking about, but for the others, I am sure I will get to that some other time.

When working 40 hour weeks at work, going to school full time and having practice and sometimes tournaments, let's just say that there is absolutely no time in order to make a mistake on my schedule.

Talking To Your Bosses

This is the main thing I could recommend for someone who is really trying to do it all, especially the people that are trying to get the hours they would like, communication is key. I really could not say that enough. With the 40 hour weeks, walking into an interview and talking to those employers is really your make or break. If you do have something that is important to you, for example your sport, you really need to make sure your employer knows that you are serious about when you can and cannot work. I promise you right here, that when you are in that position when you say that you can work, when in reality you know you cannot, it really will bite you in the long run. No one wants to have their boss mad at you, but when your communication is there, it will benefit you to make sure they understand.

So, when walking in there ready for your interview, make sure you are strong about what you want and the hours you can work. Those employers are going to try to get you to work when they need you. If you are just saying things that you know they want to hear, they will not be understanding when you get to the day you need to request off and they ask why you need it. "Well I forgot to mention I cannot work these weekends." Whoops, that is where you messed up. They may feel like you lied to them. Let's be honest -- you did lie to them because you wanted the job, and now you are really just in an awkward situation.

From my experience, I have found that the more honest you are at the beginning, the better it ends up. When you start out truthful, you can get through those awkward misunderstanding moments. So, when you do go for that interview, make sure you are honest, and if they do not like what they are hearing ... Look for another job! You are more than qualified if you got an interview in the first place! Don't be silly and regret it in the long run, go ahead and look around and find that job and employer that is truly going to work with you and not against you. You never want to hold onto something that is just going to hold you back. It will work out for the best. I promise you will find a different job. It may not be tomorrow, but it will come!

Making Sure You Don't Over Work

Now, I know I could definitely consider myself an expert when it comes to this. Before I have come to my life realization, and reason why I am writing this blog for you guys, I would say I was money crazed. When I was in high school, and getting up to my freshman year in college, I was a workaholic. I was working close to 50 hour, maybe a little bit more, every week. I was working 15 hour Saturdays, and I was just completely beat down. My life revolved around money and work, and it just got to the point where it was getting out of hand. Then, finally, I realized that I was going to have to stop or I was going to run myself down. I was already beat down, but it took me a while to realize it.

My lessons being learned were don't let yourself get to the point where you are completely beat down. You may not realize it, but you have to take a breath, slow down and actually live your life. I do not think I was doing that. So, when you are working a lot, please take a step back and think if you are over working. Now, when I say over working I mean that you need to actually think about what you are doing. If you can comfortably say that you have been on your feet for eight hours and you haven't had a break, then you need to stop right there. If you feel like you can keep going, give your body a break because it is screaming at you telling you to, but you just aren't realizing it.

Make sure you eat and keep yourself hydrated. I know that you don't think you are doing a lot, but you really are taking a toll on your body. Yes, you may not be working out or sweating, but it is like a work out to your body. It is not just physical, but mentally it is slowing you down. When you are working, please make sure you truly think about what you are doing. Work is something you need to make sure you don't get too much of. For your mental, emotional and physical self.

Spend Wisely

Well, we all know that we are supposed to spend well, but we do not always spend the way we should. Well this just makes me laugh because even though I am trying to talk about this, I know I have definitely learned from my mistakes. When you get your paycheck, especially when you have more on there than you thought there was going to be, you need to make sure you do not spend that extra! I know it is tempting and all to use that extra money and spend it on something you want, but you really should just keep it in a savings account and wait for something you absolutely need or are dying to get.

For me, this life lesson truly paid off. I think with having a steady amount of income, you truly need to have a steady amount of spending. For this, your bank account will grow. It may not be as quickly as you would hope, but if you are saving it will soon show. Yes, that twenty dollars that you are keeping in your account may see but a little, but it really does add up. The reason I know this is because of my experience with buying a car. I was able to put down a good portion of the car because those twenty dollars added up. When I put down that money, my monthly payments for the car decreased, and I felt more comfortable financially about finally having something I need to be responsible about.

Responsibility is key when spending money. Think before you purchase. I know when you think you have thought about getting into a commitment of spending money, you really have not. You need to truly think long and hard about what you are buying, if it is a final purchase or if it is a monthly payment. Also, if it is something there is always up-keep. What if the purchase breaks? Something goes wrong? If that warranty that is on it, ends and then breaks a week later? In order to be prepared for these things make sure that you have extra. Extra would be if almost the worst thing possible happened to it, make sure you have that money. Working paycheck to paycheck is hard, and if you are doing it, then you are not financially ready for a commitment. Give yourself the leeway you need so that you do not have to stress or panic. There will always be stress, but keep it to a minimum! So, please please please think before you spend. I promise you it will pay off in the long run.

The Rest Is Up To You

Go out and find that job!